Monday, December 7, 2009

Over the Weekend...

So, as I mentioned in my last post, I had quite a weekend! This is the second half, and because things were disjointed to begin with- I'm starting with Sunday first. Sunday was Boston's Bazaar Bizarre Holiday Craft Fair! This year it was held at the Cyclorama, which was much larger compared to last years locale. The line moved quickly, and soon we were in! Chris and i both found treasures at the Outside the Lines Studio booth. Outside the lines is an arts-based program for creative individuals who have developmental and physical disabilities, the artists sell their work in a studio setting most days, and receive 85% of the profit.
Us, with our new art:
I bought a cute stuffed lobster (I love lobsters... residual effects of growing up in Maine!) and Chris bought a beautiful colored pencil piece (we think it looks like a cross between Picasso and Cezanne, with a little early Warhol thrown in). We're both really excited to find a place in our apartment for both pieces!
Our newlywed friends Sam and Dan came along with us. It was really cold!:
I love going to these fairs because I always run into someone I know. This time is was Elise from Argyle Whale! Elise and I went to school together and were also in the same Senior Thesis Show, I have admired her work for years and it's so exciting to see her find success with Argyle Whale! She is also one of the nicest and happiest people ever.
One of the most exciting things that happened this weekend is that it finally snowed! We have been having some very unseasonably warm weather but it looks like we've turned the corner at last! I forced myself out of bed at 7:20 am on a Sunday to take these photos on our roof, just to show you how pretty it was:

Ok, now on to Saturday, which was a little simpler. I worked in the morning and then helped my friend Lillie photograph her artwork for her graduate portfolio. We had a great time in the studio, despite how tired we both were from busy weeks. I like being in the photo studio, too- I'm usually stuck photographing events and don't get to play around with lighting very often.
Lillie's work is amazing, she crocheted the three figures below all by hand, she said each one took about 35 hours!:
How was your weekend? Did you get any snow?

19 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh man- I seriously miss this thing ever year and every year I saw I am going to remember next year and then I forget again. Bummer! Looks like a great time! I like your new purchases!
-jenloveskev

Rebekah said...

It looks like you had a blast! Thanks for the picture of the snow! I'm waiting for/dreading the first snow here!

Rebecca said...

Cute tights & I love the crocheted figures!! How fun!

princesspolitico said...

just got our first snow this morning, although it didn't stick :( i really love the idea of the 'outside the lines studio' booth... that is such a wonderful idea to get great art and help a wonderful cause.

love reading your blog - its such a pleasure. keep up the intriguing and beautiful posts!

xo.
princesspolitico

Jill said...

The Bazaar was tons of fun this year, and I agree--much better locale this year than last year. I got an awesome necklace that I'm very excited about and a couple of tiny little gifts. I saw you in line, but I only read your blog voyeuristically (up until now) so didn't say hi. I'm glad you had fun!

Girl from the North Country said...

awww I was going to go to that show but decided my car may need a break this weekend. Looks like you found some great stuff!

The snow from your roof top is beautiful!

briannelee said...

Aw, I wanted to go to Bazaar Bizarre this year, but I didn't get a chance. Def have to go next year.

Lexie said...

when i was in high school, i ran for student council secretary and one of my posters had a big ol lobster on it (i have no idea why ... i just thought they were cute)! therefore, i approve of your lobster!!

Kristin said...

we got snow! but none of it stuck. rats. darn you virginia weather! its actually 54 degrees today......

La Historiadora de Moda said...

I love this first picture of you! We got a little snow yesterday, but it didn't stick. The truth is I'm fine with that since I have to commute a little over 2 hours on Mon/Wed/Fri.

What Would a Nerd Wear said...

first snow, i am jealooouuus. i want some around here.

Tieka, Selective Potential said...

I love reading everything on your blog! and you are SO adorable.

Tanglewood said...

sweet! that lobster is adorable. it finally snowed in DC last weekend too, but today we're getting the dreaded "wintry mix," which is completely worth staying inside for.

chic said...

Wow, I love your friend's installation with the crochet figures!! How cool! S.

Every Little Counts said...

ohhhh snow! no snow here, but we got a ton of rain. my fingers are crossed- it could happen tonight, i hope!

Chelsea said...

Bizarrely, we did get snow in the Bay Area! I didn't see any of it first hand, but the closest snow spotting was less than 10 miles away, so that is crazy.

My weekend was busy, but fun! I'm gearing up for several holiday parties this week, which I couldn't be more excited for ;)

piglet said...

You bought a stuffed lobster!!! So cute, I want one!
No we didn't get any snow.... but it is meant to be summer here :)

Meg said...

The pictures of the trees are unbelievably stunning! First time to your blog... love it! Your adorable and so is your style. (Love your outfit in the top picture of this post!) Stay warm!

Sophia said...

woah, these pictures are right near where i live in the south end! i'm ashamed to say that i have never been inside cyclorama though having lived here for nearly 4 years now. looks like you all had a great time there.
ps. i also noticed you're from ma. fellow ma bloggers unite :o)

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!