Saturday, June 17, 2017

Here & There 6.17

 photo IMG_0600_zpsdsmcxmmt.jpg

Happy weekend, friends! How was your week? My week went by fast. Too fast, almost (but not really because I'm stoked for the weekend). On Wednesday I went up to the office in Brooklyn, which was a nice change of pace, as I've been working from home for the past two straight weeks. After the quiet of my home office (and by "home office" I mean the island in our kitchen and/or the couch), it's almost a relief to make the commute to Dumbo. I've been spending too much money on lattes just for the human interaction... because if I don't, it's just me and Zephyr and podcasts for 8 hours while I work. It's supposed to rain today, which is both a bummer and a blessing, because the thing that does not happen during the week is cleaning, and last weekend was so beautiful that the house remained a mess while we spent every second of it outdoors. I'm hoping to do a bit of decluttering. I've been sporadically pulling things out of my drawers to donate and have a bunch of random piles around our apartment, and our basement needs some attention desperately. Whenever life gets a little uncertain, my brain switches into two mindsets: I want to get rid of everything and I want to move. This week we had car trouble and our little Subaru ended up at the mechanic, I received a large and unexpected medical bill, and other aspects of life became a little uncertain. So, right on schedule my brain is all, "That's it! We're outta here. Donate all of it and let's get packing." This is a frustrating mindset to be in. Because the rational side of my brain knows to wait it out, pay the bill, fix the car, clean the house, be thankful it's only this much. But my crazy lizard brain (ha) wants out. So, I'm striking a compromise and donating a few bags of stuff and getting life at least a little more organized. Tonight we're headed to New Hope for an artist talk, and then on Sunday we're going to the Pride parade here in Philly - I can't wait! I hope you have a beautiful weekend, sharing some of my favorite links from the week below.

XO

I'm loving the re-emergence of smaller bags for summer - the less literal and figurative baggage we carry the better! This vintage tooled leather cross body fits the bill perfectly, the ideal size for keys-phone-wallet.

Are you celebrating Father's Day? This DIY beard oil makes a great Father's Day gift - and you can also use it for yourself on your hair (I love masculine scents for myself). I bet this handmade option smells pretty amazing too.

"Let her speak, please"

Summer is here, which means I'm obsessing over everything linen. I love the unique cut of this handmade top and the drama of this handmade linen dress.

Want to know a secret? As much as I loved our wedding, I hated planning it and sometimes I wish we had just gone to the courthouse. I love looking at courthouse wedding photos and thought this photo series was beautiful.

I've been seeing these cute bamboo ark bags everywhere and finally found a handmade/small business option - also loving that there are two size options.

The title of this satirical children's book made me laugh so hard. Also, a question I ask myself constantly.

Are you as into statement earrings as I am? Personally, I think they're the perfect jewelry for summer - cool and statement-making and they won't touch your skin! I love these handmade monstera earrings, these hammered brass hoops, and these tassels for making your own.

I'm about halfway through this book and highly recommend it. It reminds me a bit of the Handmaid's Tale in some ways, but instead of offering an alternate future, it offers an alternate history and present-day and is a little terrifying to see some similarities with what's happening in the world now.

I try not to purchase much from Forever 21 - but I bought these shorts last year and am thinking about getting another pair. They're comfortable and have an internal lining, which is key for running on hot days in shorter shorts - no wedgies.

This presidency feels so petty (among other things) - and now trump is rolling back travel and trade policies with Cuba put in place by Obama. I mean, it's been 200+ days, can he just move on??

ModCloth is having a sale-on-sale right now with an extra 40% off. I'm feeling highly tempted by these cat print pants. ALso really into these vintage-inspired overalls.