Monday, February 20, 2017

In My Bag

 photo IMG_9133_zpsoyupuqm7.jpg
My schedule has changed pretty dramatically over the past year. Going from a solid 9-6 (usually much later than 6, tbh) office routine to splitting my time between working from home and commuting to Dumbo, it's been a lot to get used to. Some days I have no commute at all, and some days I spend four hours schlepping myself between Philly and Brooklyn, hopping between Uber, Amtrak and the subway. It's a balancing act for sure and I've found that carrying the right bag with the right things in it can make or break the commute. I don't like a lot of fuss, especially in the winter when I'm also burdened with layers and a coat that immediately becomes too warm the second I step on the train. I wish I could say I've perfected it, but 8 months later I'm still making tweaks and adjustments. Sometimes I carry a backpack, sometimes this tote from Moorea Seal is all I need. Today I'm sharing some of the essentials I've been carrying with me these days, many of which are key to making a two hour train ride bearable. Hint: most of them are books... travel activities aren't just for kids! They're for professional, grown-ass adult women too!

Bag: Julia Canright Block Printed Tote Bag
On the hunt for a decent tote bag that could handle my computer on lighter commuting days, I found this great hand-printed tote on Moorea Seal and fell in love. It's roomy enough to hold my laptop and a couple of books, but not too big to also carry as a regular purse on weekends. It's great for weekends at flea markets or wandering the city, when I might pick up a couple of small things and don't want to acquire shopping bags.

A Really Good Pen
Because a really good pen makes all the difference between actually using your planner or journal or whatever and living a life of disorganization. I'm liking Ink Joy pens right now.

Awakening Loving-Kindness - Pema Chödrön
I've been a fan of Chödrön's uncomplicated approach to meditation for a while now, and like how portable the pocket shambhala classics are. I'm working my way up to a daily meditation practice, but for days when it doesn't happen, or I need a break from the storm, I read this.

52 Lists for Happiness - Moorea Seal
My girl Moorea's 2nd book and it's goooood. I think it's simpler in its approach than the first one and I like that it has a focus - happiness. I'm finding the lists surprisingly difficult to fill out sometimes, which is a good thing. It's making me seriously consider how I spend my time and how I can better tune in to what brings me true happiness.

Law of Attraction Planner
Can you tell I'm on a self-improvement tear this year? After ending 2016 on a lower note, I decided to make 2017 the year of being better. This planner is a whopper for sure, but I love that it's A - not dated and B - has sections for seemingly every area of life. Not just to-dos but current goals, inspiration, and long-term goals for where you hope to be.

 photo IMG_9132_zpsbkqpx5s8.jpg

Kindle Paperwhite
So, I clearly like to saddle myself with too many books, this little device is an attempt to at least somewhat break the habit. I was resistant to depending on yet another device, especially one that takes the place of print, but I was having trouble returning my library books on time and I also wanted to be able to spend more time reading during my commute to Brooklyn instead of staring at my laptop screen. Now that I've gotten used to it, I think it'll be great for summer and going back to my mom's, too.

'Coffee' iPhone Case
Because some things just speak your language and my language is coffee, cats and crystals and this case features all three.

Solid Amber Perfume
To me, this smells like pure nostalgia. My mom used to give me these little carved Indian soapstone boxes with solid perfume inside when I was younger and I recently rediscovered them via my favorite metaphysical bookstore here in Philly. This one is 1 note - amber - and I love how simple and warm it is.

Free People Sunglasses
My favorites - I have two pairs because they literally work with every outfit.

Blackhorne Black Crescent Keychain

Glossier Balm Dot Com, NYX Lip Lingerie in Cashmere Milk & Liquid Suede in Cherry Skies

'Yes/No' Pin Set 
I picked this little pin set up on a recent trip to Pittsburgh when we popped into Juju (arguably one of the best shops in PGH and owned by Leslie, rad lady and former OG sponsor!).

Not pictured: Hand sanitizer... because the NYC subway + Amtrak + multiple Uber Pools in one day are no joke.

And always too many metrocards... because that's life
 photo IMG_9134_zpsuz187wqi.jpg