Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Currently

 photo 30d50b98812711e38a160ac87379a258_8_zps1c09f5f4.jpg
Feeling: Grateful for our friends. Chris and I just returned from a weekend trip to Rochester, NY where we met up with Jen and her sister Amy, Kev, and the girls. It blows my mind that we've known each other for six years already, and Chris and I are so thankful to have them in our lives. We realized that Rochester is almost exactly in the middle of Pittsburgh and Albany, and it's a relatively easy drive for us (relatively, only because we can't seem to go anywhere without having some sort of issue - this time our windshield washer fluid froze up, the car's hood wouldn't stay latched, and we almost hit an already-dead deer. Ridiculous). We explored Rochester a bit, ate good food, and worked on a special project together. The perfect weekend. I'm really excited to share the photos soon!

Excited about: Taking more weekend trips. One of our shared goals this year to is really take advantage of where we're living. We've explored outside of Pittsburgh a little bit, but not nearly as much as we should. I'm itching to get to Canada this summer, especially. I haven't been since high school. I'd love to see Niagara Falls and visit Toronto. And I want to explore West Virginia and Pennsylvania more, too.

Dreaming of: Summer. In a big way. And not just because this winter has been especially brutal. After going home for the holidays, Chris and I have been scheming of taking a longer trip back to this summer and maybe renting a beach house (and bringing the cat! because nothing goes better together than water and cats!). I can't stop fantasizing about walking barefoot down a sunny dirt road on my way to the ocean.

Anticipating: The next few weeks. We've had a relatively quiet and slow start to to the year, which I've loved, but I'm ready for a little more action. I finally dragged myself back to the gym this week (and learned my lesson: taking a month and a half off hurts), and this weekend is the post-holiday party at my job. I can't believe that January is almost over, but I'm feeling really good about how this month has gone.

Working on: Going to bed earlier.

Failing at: Going to bed earlier.

8 comments:

Emily Baker said...

can't wait to see the pics of you and jen!!

Michelle // Aliya and Lucas Vintage said...

I hear you on that earlier bed time and failing. Even when I go to bed earlier, I still stay up reading or something :(

Anonymous said...

If you make it to Toronto this summer you should check out this shop in Hamilton (about 45 min away from Toronto) http://shoptheedit.ca/
Its owned by blogger Jentine (you may already know who she is). I would love to visit, but I live in Oregon...

Rebecca said...

I definitely need to take more weekend trips once summer comes! i live in NJ and I really want to get up to Canada as well!

Rebecca @ tr[i]b[e]cca

Rebecca said...

I definitely need to take more weekend trips once summer comes! i live in NJ and I really want to get up to Canada as well!

Rebecca @ tr[i]b[e]cca

Shell KittyAndBuck said...

ha! I just did my first weights session since... maybe August? I bet I won't be able to move tomorrow. Running isn't the same!

I was just exploring Rochester (from google) as a potential place to visit and maybe live - though my heart is in Phoenicia, NY. Have you been to Chadds Ford in PA? It's one of my favourite places that I've visited, the Wyeth galleries (Brandywine) are just wonderful, the river is beautiful and the farm tour offered through the museum (Keurner Farm) was just idyllic. In case you want an Australian's view on where you live ;P

Courtney said...

Oh my goodness, Toronto! Minus our crazy Mayor, it's a damn good city.

Vintage/Shopping: You must check out Chosen Vintage, Mama Loves You, 69 Vintage, House of Vintage and Labour of Love (not vintage, but my favourite local gifty store).

Neighbourhoods: Parkdale, The Junction, West Queen West and the Ossington Strip, Cabbagetown and Leslieville.

Food: Poutini's (!!!), Grand Electric, House on Parliament, Hogtown Vegan, oh my goodness but really, just make sure you get some poutine. Snakes and Lagers is a soon-to-be open board game bar. It should be awesome.

And here is some inspiration from some fine ladies that occupy our city (plus some from the NYC area): http://bootsandpine.com/index/

Sorry if this is a bit overboard -- it's just nice to hear that someone, somewhere, still wants to visit Toronto post-Mayor Rob Ford.

Maggie said...

Man oh man, I love these posts. You've mentioned before about trying to be more personable (or maybe just include more about your personal life on the blog?) and I love this. I feel like junior high English teacher saying you have a great 'voice,' but your blog shines with personality and feels so relatable. Keep it up! : )

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!