Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Weekend Wishlist: New Year's Fashion-Resolutions Edition!

Thank you to everyone who has left comments here, and on my Instagram, regarding the loss of my mother-in-law's house. I can't even begin to express the level of gratitude we feel towards the outpouring of support and offers of help, it's staggering. We're currently working on getting a donation page up and running for Cathy and Joe, which I will post here when it's ready. Chris and I are back in Pittsburgh now and trying to get back into the swing of things, which includes blogging.

I've been thinking a lot about my resolutions for 2014 over the past week, which includes style resolutions. Instead of my normal 'Weekend Wishlist' post, I'm changing it up a little, for 2014, I'm resolving to break out of my comfort zone and try a few new things, stylistically...
 photo OrchidGrey_Fashionresolutions_zpsfd78bade.jpg

Try a new length -- I typically like my dresses either really short, or really long, but I love this velvet, knee length dress from Shop Juju's enough to try something different. Save 15% w/code 'zephyr15'

Learn to walk in heels -- Confession: I love the look of classic heels (like, pumps that don't have a block heel or straps or ties), like this pair from ShoeDazzle, but can't walk in them for more than five minutes! Time to change that.

Add a little more sparkle -- When it comes to jewelry, I definitely have a 'type' (long, brass, crystals). I have a few statement necklaces, like this one from Lulu's, that I'd love to learn how to wear. Save 40% off all sale items w/code 'EOTY40'.

Get organized -- My perpetual resolution! This jewelry carousel would solve constant issue of having to very carefully untangle 50 necklaces each morning to get to the one I want.

Look cute in bad weather -- When it comes to poor weather, working outdoors, or hiking, I tend to err towards the side of utilitarianism. This patterned cape from Caper looks super cute, and is super functional for a rainy day.

Have more fun with accessories -- I love piling on accessories for the summer, but I tend to keep things pretty simple for colder weather. This handknit Rebozo scarf is beautiful, and benefits the community where it's made, and I'd love to add a meditation bracelet or two to my wrist for times of stress.

Try a short-handled bag -- Pretty simple, I love the look of short-handled handbags, like this vintage one from New Old Fashioned Vintage, but rarely carry them. Time to try it out!

Find a really great faux-fur coat -- Clearly, my closet needs something like this beauty from Wolf Mama Vintage. Save 20% off w/code 'HELLOWINTER'.

Dress up my decor -- My apartment's style could use a little sprucing up too. Maybe a new coffee table book, like this beauty from Mystery Girl Vintage. Save 15% w/code 'ORCHIDGREY'.

Up my basics game -- Something else my closet lacks: a decent arsenal of basics. First on my list? More crop tops.


nicola lynde said...

What a nice idea to set style goals for the year. Getting dressed is a big part of self expression and it's so easy to fall into a style rut. Opposite to you I would like to bring some more fun into my wardrobe, which is loaded with basics!

The Littlest Smitten said...

I love all these resolutions Julie! I'm inspired to make some style resolutions myself. Also so sad to hear about your family's lost. My heart goes out to them.

thriftylilpixie said...

Love the cape and great resolutions

iris said...

These are some good fashion resolutions, but I wouldn't put too much weight on the wearing-heels one. That nonsense is really not that great for your arches/toes...but I'm all for getting organized and dressing up the decor a bit. Maybe instead of buying a coffee table book, you can make your own from your own photos/vacations (I do this via Picaboo groupons)?

Dus of Cuddly Cacti said...

I love all of these! it's def hard to look cute in awful weather. oh, but don't love the heels, so bad for your ankles/knees, etc. actually i love that you don't wear heels on the blog.

Colleen Beaty said...

Yikes, what a terrible thing to happen. Sending lots of good thoughts to your family as they recover from the loss of their home and companion animals.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!