Monday, August 19, 2013

Austin in Photos

 photo OrchidGrey_Austin2013-7_zps9b068a57.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_Austin2013-1_zpsace0a1e6.jpg
  photo OrchidGrey_Austin2013-2_zpsa5f8a08c.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_Austin2013-3_zpse08d454f.jpg
 photo OrchidGrey_Austin2013-5_zps1831b9da.jpg
  photo OrchidGrey_Austin2013-8_zpsc2065608.jpg
  photo OrchidGrey_Austin2013-6_zps6c851dc6.jpg

Oh Austin, you are one of my favorite cities. This trip, like all the others, was just wonderful, but I also officially crossed Austin off my "Places I'd Like to Live" list, based solely on the temperature. It was hot. Big surprise (I knew to expect that). I was really hoping to explore the city beyond where I typically spend my time while I'm there (South Congress- a welcoming, easily accessible street filled with food, vintage stores, and other interesting things to look at), but the heat, lack of a car, and the conference prevented that from happening. Photos took a backseat this time around, in favor of a lighter bag, a strain-free shoulder, and a slightly less sweat-inducing outfit. And, as I look at these photos now, I realize they were all taken on the same morning- the morning I left! Out little Air BNB crew rose early for one final Austin breakfast at South Congress Cafe, which was followed by a little shopping as we made our way down the hill towards taxis and, eventually, home (or San Fran in my case).


Chelsea Elizabeth said...

Aw I love the little moments that you captured. Austin seems so wonderful, but i agree, it would be hard to live there due to the crazy heat

Lauren Martin said...

It makes me so mad that Austin is so stupidly hot in the summer, because honestly 9 months out of the year the weather feels amazing. But these 3/4 months of heat turn people off. Thats the only reason my parents won't move here. :( But austin really is a little utopia of absolutely everything. You can be an aristocrat, geek, partier, college kid, 40-somethin', techie, artist, musician, lover, east-sider, west-laker, hippie, yuppie, and you'll fit in and won't be turned away from anywhere. It's pretty beautiful...except the 3 months of sweaty, killer summer heat. lol :D Xx
Lauren M

Anonymous said...

Eh..I've lived in Austin for a couple of years and am pretty over it. The traffic is just absurd and it takes forever to get anywhere..not having a car and sticking to SoCo helps people fall in love with it...but SoCo like almost everywhere else "cool" in Austin is prohibitively expensive.

I also think Austin only has "nice" weather in maybe the month of April. We have summer till Thanksgiving and then its freezing and right back to being hot. Tx lacks my favorite transition seasons. Ah Fall and Spring!

You're photos are beautiful, glad you had fun at the conference!


abbycake said...

Austin is amazing, love these photos. South Congress is one of my favorite places to explore.
xx Abby | a geek tragedy

Valentina Duracinsky said...

How lovely!

Valentina Duracinsky Blog
-- Facebook Page

Lindy said...

I passed you while walking on Valencia in SF with your big round sunnies on. Hope you had a great time while you were in town, and that the weather provided a little relief from Austin.

Orchid Grey said...

Lindy, that's so crazy that we crossed paths! SF was a dream, especially after the Austin heat!

Jo - Lost in the Haze said...

I love these photos, Julie! The gig posters are so amazing - I love the drawing especially!

Lost in the Haze

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!