Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Inspired By: Other People's Places

 photo Apartment_Kitchen_zpsfdb6b2ac.jpg
 photo Apartment_LivingRoom_zps288c2d6f.jpg
1. 2. 3. 4. 
 photo Apartment_Office_zps3fb041b3.jpg
 photo Apartment_Collage_zps939df712.jpg

As Chris and I get ready to move into our new space, I've been thinking about the changes I'd like to make with our decor. Nothing huge, but with a new apartment and new layout come new ideas. I'm excited to have big windows for our plants, wide windowsills for our cats, and a larger kitchen to accommodate a dining table that seats more than two. While we're focused mostly on subtracting from our collection of stuff, there are a few things I'm looking to add to our decor. With yard-sale season upon us, this is what I've been keeping an eye out for:

Unique rugs: Check! While I'll need more than one, I did find an amazing kilim rug this weekend. I'm so excited to no longer have wall-to-wall carpeting in the bedroom, because I love how rugs look (and w-t-w is awful and gross in a rental).

Vintage planters: I have a rather large collection of plants that I only expect to, ahem, grow when we move. I'm always on the lookout for vintage pottery and hanging planters.

A hanging chair: This is the unicorn of thrift-ing/yard sale-ing. I've heard of instances where people found them, but I have yet to see one in the wild.

A new desk: This is something we actually plan to make using lumber from the hardware store and legs from hairpinlegs.com. I still find myself looking for desks when I'm out and about, but I know the only way to get what I really want is to make it. We're excited to have a studio that we can work in at the same time!

While we do hope to own a home someday, something I really appreciate about renting- aside from the ability to explore different neighborhoods/environments- is having the opportunity for quick and- relatively- easy change. You can check out more of my apartment inspiration on my Pinterest board.

13 comments:

Alicia Johnston said...

Those gold hanging planters are brilliant! My collection of houseplants is growing rapidly in a hodge podge of mostly disposable/temporary containers, but I'm waiting until I move to upgrade them all. Like you, I'm preparing for a move, and I can't wait to have my own place to decorate. The hanging pots in the first couple images look especially awesome for saving space in an apartment.

fancyalterego said...

I hear ya on the WTW carpet situation! My husband found out last year that he has a severe allergy to dust mites, and our current apartment's carpet is so old and gross...that I'm sure it's contributing. We hope to move somewhere without carpet next time!

I will totally let you know if I find a hanging seat - I find all kinds of weird stuff while thrifting here that other people can't seem to find elsewhere...so I'll keep an eye out!

Megan Colwell said...

There's so many things I need to update in my house. Sometimes it's quite overwhelming. Sigh. Love this post though.

Orchid Grey said...

Fancyalterego- I'm actually suspicious that our cat may have a dust mite allergy, I'm interested to see how his behavior changes after we move. Thank you for keeping an eye out!

Megan- I feel ya, we've been very slowly updating over the past year and a half or so.

Amanda Rollo said...

I've always wanted a hanging chair! I'll be moving soon too, and am trying to DIY some pieces to incorporate into my decor. Thanks for the ideas, these are great!

Amanda @ Running In Heels
amandarollo.blogspot.com

Lyn said...

I see some really nice inspiration!
love xx
http://www.blondebutterflies.blogspot.be/

Olivia said...

I'm going to be moving soon as well, I keep checking Craigslist for all the things I'll need. I think I may need a desk calendar like that too.

Hilary de Lisle said...

I adore what you found for inspiration, those places are so beautiful. I'm also crazy about the intricate rugs, they make any space interesting!

Hilary
Level20Wife.com

Christine said...

My best friend growing up had a hanging chair just like that in her back yard and I'm dreamt of owning my own ever since! But like you I've literally never seen one in person (old or new) and have no room for one anyway. Sighhhh. I hope one day we both have one of our own!

Ally said...

This is my dream desk:

http://www.eq3.com/ca/en/p25851/nelson-swag-leg-desk

Although realistically I could use it for about 20% of the things I need desk space for. But the color/white/wood combo makes my eyes/brain very happy.

Price makes me hurt, though. I'll have to find something similar in vintage & paint those colors in.
http://www.eq3.com/ca/en/p25851/nelson-swag-leg-desk

Camilla said...

"A hanging chair: This is the unicorn of thrift-ing/yard sale-ing. I've heard of instances where people found them, but I have yet to see one in the wild. " This is the best thing I ever read in a blog! Nice!

Ashley Elizabeth said...

Such a great assortment of options! I definitely will be making some plant hangers for our house soon! Good luck designing!
www.shieldswithakiss.blogspot.com

Valentina Duracinsky said...

these are great! very inspirational.

Valentina
Valentina Duracinsky Blog

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!