Thursday, February 21, 2013

Currently

 photo 4208520c7b9811e2b48222000a9f1915_7_zpsed52da42.jpg
Enjoying...
I worked from home yesterday for the first time in a couple of weeks and it was exactly what I needed. It's been super chilly this week, with snow showers here and there, and I loved being in my living room while the snow flew outside. Zephyr has been super snuggly lately (I had to make him a nest- above- on the table so he would stop resting his head on my arm and incapacitating me), and he hung out all day with me. I really miss the epically snowy winters of New England. The winter before we moved, we had a snowstorm every Wednesday without fail for a month. Sure, there were times it was a pain, but there's something fun and adventurous about trudging through knee high snow to meet friends at the pub, or having to dig yourself out of your house.

Looking forward to...
Cleveland on Sunday! Mandy and I are headed to Ohio to meet up with some other lovely ladies and I can't wait to explore the city a little bit. I'm looking forward to planning a few more road trips in the near future, hopefully to explore west and south of here a bit more.

Listening to...
I came across Wild Belle yesterday, and I have to say I'm smitten with their dance-y mix of funk, ska, and reggae. The video for "Keep You"- which is really bizarre- was done by the same person who did Solange's "Losing You", which is another song I'm completely obsessed with.

Anticipating...
Spring and summer. Ugh, I know. This is the time of year where you hear that from everybody, but it's true. I want warm weather, fewer layers, the sun on my shoulders, and an excuse to drive six hours to the ocean. Oh the ocean! I could yammer on about that for hours...

Enjoying...
So many new foods and combinations! This week, we tried spaghetti squash for the first time, and it was amazing! It really is just like spaghetti. I'm really excited to break out our slowcooker next week and try some new recipes with it. To be honest, the slowcooker has always been a little intimidating, but with Chris' late-nights and my workload, I think it will be incredibly useful for a couple meals a week, saving us from eating at 11 o'clock at night like we sometimes do.

Just a short list this week, what have you been up to? Reading anything good? Listening to anything new? Let me know, I'm always looking for recommendations! This post was inspired by Danielle of Sometimes Sweet.

12 comments:

Alexis said...

Spaghetti squash is so delicious, seriously. :)

Heather Lou said...

You gotta read Going Clear. It's EXPLODING my brain. We all know how cray-cray Scientology is but this is a super entertaining, juicy as hell expose about what a total shitshow it is. You'll never look at Tom Cruise the same way again.

Orchid Grey said...

Heather Lou- thanks for the rec! My INSANE freshman year roommate was a scientologist and man, the stories I could tell! I've been hearing a lot about this one, can't wait to check it out!

Emily said...

as a clevelander, i feel like i need to tell you to check out flower child on clifton (a great vintage store... my other favorite, chelsea's, isn't open on sundays!) and eat brunch at lucky's in tremont. there's a cute little boutique, yellowcake, that's worth a visit, too! i just have too many suggestions!

Heather P. said...

Working from home on a snowy day is the best. You get to enjoy all the beauty of it, without having to trudge outside, drive in it, and spend the whole day dreading the trip home. I hope the weather stays nice enough for your trip to Cleveland. I keep hearing we're getting a hell of a snowstorm, so stay safe and warm!

I just started reading Anthony Bourdain's book Medium Raw, and I'm quite enjoying it. I like to read something light and a bit snarky before bed...not sure why, but I do!

Jennifer said...

I am obsessed with spaghetti squash! And that is coming from a former pasta every night kind of gal lol

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

Emily's Going Nuts said...

I remember when it snowed every Wednesday. That was the winter I started temping at my current job. I had to dig my car out to go to work every snow storm because I wasn't accruing PTO.

These days, we're getting snow every weekend instead...

The Littlest Smitten said...

My husband and I love spaghetti squash and make it from time to time. I'm currently reading Night Circus and enjoying it. Listening to the latest Yo La Tengo album and loving it.

Jeanne said...

Woo, Cleveland! I'm a native Clevelander and am a big, big fan of the city. Here's my 100% unsolicited advice :)

If you're free to come into town on Saturday, you might want to check out The Cleveland Flea (http://www.indiefoundry.com/the-cleveland-flea/). You could stay at the hostel in Ohio City (http://theclevelandhostel.com/), which is right across the street from the West Side Market (http://www.westsidemarket.org/) and in the heart of one of the most bustling neighborhoods in the city (located just immediately outside of downtown), along with Tremont (just to the east of Ohio City) and Detroit Shoreway (just to the west). Collinwood is also a super cool neighborhood (about 15 minutes east of downtown), with tons of shops, boutiques and concert halls.

This guy just wrote a pretty cool review of his weekend in Cleveland; it's pretty spot on with some of the cool things to do and places to go: http://travelsofadam.com/2013/01/exploring-clevelands-hipster-hotspots/

End of unsolicited advice :)

Have fun!!

Kiersten said...

I love love love this post idea!
And as for wanting it to be spring/summer...I don't think I could have thought about that any more this week; it just seems to be getting colder and colder and I sort of wish I could hibernate!
<3 Kiersten

nicola lynde said...

I hear you on the Spring thing. I'm so sick of the white stuff, wind and freezing temps. Bring on ballet flats, bare ankles and packing my (now) loathed winter parka away. Zephyr is so cute, what a cuddly little friend to have around.

Anonymous said...

Good call on Wild Belle! Really digging these tunes; thanks for turning me on to them!

<3 Meg

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!