Saturday, June 30, 2012

Friday Favorites, on a Saturday!

Top: Night reading, a walk through Frick Park, strange bedfellows at the grocery store
Middle: Outside at Kelly's, #foodcourtfriday with coworkers, morning leg lovin'
Bottom: AM protest, covert cat ops, skip-it at ModCLoth recess day
Good morning (afternoon at this point)! I'm writing from the comfort of my not sweltering hot apartment, we broke down and bought an AC last night! This is life changing, I've never had an AC before. Mostly I just feel like less of a deadbeat pet-parent because the cats can finally move around. Whoo, was it hot this week, it was so nice waking up to a cool bedroom and cooler weather outside (though I know this 65 degree morning is a trick, it's supposed to climb to 93 by this afternoon). I'm just happy we're not in the part of the country experiencing 100+ heat, upper 90's is beyond my limit.

What do you have planned for this weekend? I took advantage of this cooler air and cleaned this morning, and have a thrilling afternoon at the dentist planned for today (update: I have a cavity). Tomorrow Chris has the day off, so I think we're going to drive to Erie- have you ever been? Any recommendations?

What else have I been up to? Let's see...

Reading:
I finished The Hunger Games in one full swoop last weekend, and I liked it. It was an easy breezy read, which was exactly what I needed. I'm definitely interested in reading the rest of the books, but I think I'll space them out a bit, books like that I can't help but read in one or two go's. Now I'm on to Horseshoe Crabs and Velvet Worms by Richard Fortey. This one is slow going, but really interesting, about the plants and animals "that have survived, nearly unchanged, throughout time."

Anticipating:
Getting this dentist appointment over with. Just kidding...kind of. I'm so excited to have a day off with Chris tomorrow, we're thinking of driving up to Presque Isle State Park in Erie, we've never been but thought it would be a good chance to get out of the city and see something that resembles the ocean. I hate that we haven't really left Pittsburgh since our trip to Texas in March, considering we used to take near-weekly road trips around New England, it feels strange to be staying put. We're making the trip home soon, and I CAN. NOT. WAIT. It's hard to not obsess over every little detail of what we want to do while we're in New England.

Working on:
Staying motivated. It's been so blistering hot that the thought of going to the gym to sweat even more isn't something I have really entertained. Swimming laps has definitely helped, you don't feel yourself sweat when you're in the water. It has made me all too aware however, at how terrible a swimmer I am.

Missing:
Our friends in New England. A lot lately. I think because it's summer...and also because we haven't seen them in SO long. We used to host weekly cookouts and house parties at our old apartment. I miss socializing with people outside of work.