Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Over The Weekend: Jade

I've been growing jade plants for a few years now. Every so often, one of the cat's would pull off a leaf (out of spite I always assumed), so I'd sprout it. Since that first plant, what started with one has multiplied into numerous babies. This past weekend I spent some time repotting a few that had overtaken their pots. I love having plants around our apartment, it keeps the air clear and- during the winter months- brings some green indoors. So far I've really only had good luck with jade, so I decided to try out an aloe plant. We'll see how this works out.

The weather was so incredibly beautiful this weekend, I spent every available moment outdoors. As I repotted, read, worked, and ate al fresco, the cats protested from the windowsill, hungrily watching the fat robins hopping around on the lawn.

12 comments:

Sarah Yvonne said...

I would love to know how you successfully sprouted your jade plants! I have several plants around the apartment (various ferns, a red clover baby, and a basil plant) but have never tried anything succulent.

Sarah Yvonne

Natasha Fatah said...

Beautiful pics. And I love your little furry peeps. :)

xoxo
~Natasha Fatah~
~Natasha Fatah~

Monse Fuentes said...

loving the pictures!

El blog de Monse
El blog de Monse
El blog de Monse

Sarah said...

I love love love houseplants. I have an aloe plant, and it's SO easy to care for. I give it two cups of water every two weeks, keep it in front of a sunny window, and it flourishes. It's gotten absolutely huge and it grows so fast! Have fun with it! :)

One warning: their skin easily gets burnt! During one of the 80-degree days a while back, I put it outside, and it got sun burnt. I was so worried I killed it, but it's bounced back since. I think if they're used to being inside, they're very sensitive to bright and hot sun.

Colleen Beaty said...

Aloe is pretty hard to kill (I should know, I am apparently really good at killing houseplants). Also really handy to have on hand for sunburns!

kimberrleigh said...

I loved the weather in Pittsburgh this weekend! We put the screens in our windows (no central air) and purged one half of the garage of garbage :)
It felt so good to be outside and moving!


<3
kimberrleigh.com

sewa mobil jakarta said...

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

sweet harvest moon said...

Beautiful!

Justalazymorning said...

love the plants!!
i have a little obsession about cactus ahah

Kimi Holmes said...

i am OBSESSED with succulents! they're so unique and easy to care for. good luck with the aloe plant - i'm sure you'll love it when you have a sunburn :)

samantha ramage said...

such gorgeous kittehs! my lula has been doing her weird bird call in our window too!

xo
sami

Lauren said...

i love how much you post about your cats. probably only because i post about my dog incessantly, but i love people who share their pets.

also, my husband and i do jade cuttings and cuttings from other succulents, and just last week, three of our cuttings started sprouting new growth! growing things is very satisfying.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!