Thursday, January 19, 2012

How To: Have Soft Winter Skin

Hey! A new post topic! I plan on introducing some simple how-to's and DIY's once a week to Orchid Grey (including hair)! Let me know what you guys think, and if there are any specific topics you'd like to see!


Pictured: Eucerin Calming Oil Wash, Ayurvedic Dry Brush, Jojoba Oil, Alba Body Lotion

The other day, my Mother informed the that it was -17 degrees at her house in Maine. That's 17 below zero, people! While I tend to think 20 degrees is chilly, nothing compares to when the weather dips below zero. Whether your winter weather hovers in the negatives or doesn't drop below thirty, there's no denying that dry winter skin can be truly miserable. This year, I feel like I finally cracked the code for relief of winter skin, and I figured I would share it with you today:

In the shower, pair a natural bristle body brush (available at Whole Foods or a natural health store) with Eucerin's Calming Shower Oil. It may seem counter-intuitive to use oil in the shower, but it works wonders. Buff all over and, once out of the shower, pat dry with a towel.

Post-shower, use a body lotion that contains alpha-hydroxy acids (which help support cellular renewal) and an SPF. I recommend Alba Botanica Very Emollient Body Lotion (Also available at Whole Foods- one big bottle should last you a year).

If you're feeling really dry, add a couple drops of jojoba oil to the body lotion before applying. I like The Jojoba Company- they're based in Maine (and yes...also available at Whole Foods)!

Do you have any products that you swear by?