Thursday, January 19, 2012

How To: Have Soft Winter Skin

Hey! A new post topic! I plan on introducing some simple how-to's and DIY's once a week to Orchid Grey (including hair)! Let me know what you guys think, and if there are any specific topics you'd like to see!


Pictured: Eucerin Calming Oil Wash, Ayurvedic Dry Brush, Jojoba Oil, Alba Body Lotion

The other day, my Mother informed the that it was -17 degrees at her house in Maine. That's 17 below zero, people! While I tend to think 20 degrees is chilly, nothing compares to when the weather dips below zero. Whether your winter weather hovers in the negatives or doesn't drop below thirty, there's no denying that dry winter skin can be truly miserable. This year, I feel like I finally cracked the code for relief of winter skin, and I figured I would share it with you today:

In the shower, pair a natural bristle body brush (available at Whole Foods or a natural health store) with Eucerin's Calming Shower Oil. It may seem counter-intuitive to use oil in the shower, but it works wonders. Buff all over and, once out of the shower, pat dry with a towel.

Post-shower, use a body lotion that contains alpha-hydroxy acids (which help support cellular renewal) and an SPF. I recommend Alba Botanica Very Emollient Body Lotion (Also available at Whole Foods- one big bottle should last you a year).

If you're feeling really dry, add a couple drops of jojoba oil to the body lotion before applying. I like The Jojoba Company- they're based in Maine (and yes...also available at Whole Foods)!

Do you have any products that you swear by?

16 comments:

Elise of Argyle Whale said...

I use the same lotion from Whole Foods and it is very good for regular use. When my skin is reeeeeeally super gila monster dry, nothing is as soothing as pure coconut oil (also available at Whole Foods).

Elise of Argyle Whale said...

Also, I totally want a bristle brush now. I have never used one and this whole -caring about shower products- thing is new territory for me.

Orchid Grey said...

Elise, I got my boar bristle brush at Whole Foods too, and it's awesome. Especially paired with the shower oil, plus the bristles stimulate blood flow and circulation. I'll have to check out the coconut oil too!

Hope said...

I actually use St. Ives Apricot scrub year round on my face. It's a super cheap product and a classic! I really feel like it keeps my skin free from any dry or itchiness. I also use Hope in a Jar moisturizer by Philosophy, which works wonders. Great post!

-Hope
www.aflatteringtale.com

Val - A Cleaner Closet said...

I actually use a bristle brush for pre-shower dry brushing, and it's awesome! And lately I've replaced my facial soap with organic olive oil (I know, sounds nutso until you google it and try it) and it's the best thing I've ever done for my skin.

acleanercloset.blogspot.com

steffy said...

I also swear by putting on lotion before bed. I use Burts Bees body lotion, it's really thick and creamy. And during the day, especially in the winter, I like to opt for body butters over lotions.

I'd love to hear your hair tips. Your hair is so long and soft looking, I would love to know your favorite products!

bethany said...

perfect timing on this post i'm dying here, i appreciate these tips! would LOVE to see posts about hair as well, bring it!

Katie said...

i use the jojoba oil straight on my face (my driest part) after a shower. it works amazingly! great post!

Dawn said...

I love jojoba oil as well, but my all time favorite is argan oil! It's not cheap (although Watts Beauty, the one I buy, is a much more reasonably priced brand than, say, Josie Maran), but it has worked wonders on both my skin and my hair. Like jojoba oil, it's found in nature and is entirely safe as well (which is a must for me). I recommend it to any and all inquiring minds. :)

Katy said...

I swear by St Ives exfoliating scrub and manic panic hair dye. After I bleached my hair Manic Panic pretty much saved it from falling out! Also, Neutrogena benzoyl peroxide lotion. Great for your skin.

Aubsent From Texas said...

I love to make my own scrub from brown sugar and coconut oil (or olive) I rub it all over in the shower. Then add a squirt of cetaphil to it and gently massage over my face. Your skin with feel and smell amazing!
Aubrey

Sweet Harvest Moon said...

Great post! Eucerin is a great brand!

Bostonista said...

Thanks for these tips! I love Alba and Eucerin! I'm also a big fan of Kiss My Face! But yeah my skin is going insane with this new england weather!

If you have a second head over and enter my give-a-way with Fresh! Tomorrow is the last day of the contest!

xo

Ariana said...

I really enjoyed this little post, and I'm excited to see more of the same!

Emily said...

I'm so glad that you post about Maine based products! I've always loved reading your blog, but I think my favorite is when you head home to Maine and take some beautiful pictures. Another Maine company that you might like is 2 Note- they are a bit pricey, but their chapstick is the best ever! You can find them at www.2noteperfumery.com, and they're located right in the Old Port.

Carrie said...

I started using both the body wash & lotion after reading this post and I absolutely LOVE them, especially when used in conjunction with a sugar scrub.

I also use homemade face masks with olive oil and honey for my face a few times a week. It only takes a few minutes while I'm in the shower and it works wonders for my dry and dull skin!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!