Thursday, December 22, 2011

Do Good

This year Christmas really snuck up on us, I'm not sure if it was due to the move, or the distance from family, but we were a little blindsided. The holidays for us have a history of being incredibly stressful, because Chris and I grew up only about 20 minutes apart, we usually have six or seven houses to visit, and have always bought everyone in those houses gifts. It finally got to the point that this year, we decided to do something different.

So here's our new tradition: Each year we'll choose a different charitable organization to donate to in the names of the children in our close circle of family and friends. They'll receive a certificate saying that a donation was made in their name, and I'll also make them a little "commemorative" ornament to go along with it:


This year we chose the Humane Society of the United States. I made little kitty ornaments (because I can pretty much only make cats), and I printed out the mini certificates to include in the envelops.


I strongly believe in supporting organizations year round, but during the holidays, donations can make simple and meaningful gifts, especially to children.

Below are a few more organizations worth supporting:

Find more info on:
Heifer International
The ASPCA (depressing Sarah Maclaughlin commercial not included)
Charity : Water

Do you have a favorite charitable organization?

15 comments:

Shannon said...

What a beautiful idea, a great charity and darling ornaments you made. I truly love this idea.

http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

Karen said...

Love this idea!! Every year I tell myself that I am going to cut back on the gift buying and every year my gift giving always seems to get a bit out of hand! This would totally solve my problem! Thanks for sharing!

xox,
karen

www.rubytuesdayfashionanddesign.blogspot.com

Suburban Sweetheart said...

Great idea. My favorite organizations to donate to are Planned Parenthood, Chairty:Water, Girl Up, and Save the Children, among others.

Orchid Grey said...

@Karen: Yeah, we just decided to make the cut this year. We have a few thrifted gifts for our immediate families, but it just got too out of hand! We saved a lot of money by going this route, and we know that the money we DID spend is going to good use, rather than another forgotten toy.

Lauren said...

I believe this is a beautiful idea and you are teaching the kids a great life lesson.

I love giving to our local Children's Hospital :)

AnnaBananaCupcake said...

Great idea! I volunteered at my local animal shelter for a few years and have always had a soft spot in my heart for animal rescues.
XOXO

Kathryn from Schoolmarm Style said...

Our town has an entire charitable gift fair every year. I need to check it out next year.

blue roses said...

beautiful idea!

i also really love the idea of finding a local organization that gives to the community, either a soup kitchen or a shelter, and trying to help. there is an amazing soup kitchen run by a church in my town, which is now at risk of closing because of new, quite unnecessary, local county government ordinances.

thank you for sharing, and keep spreading the generosity.

http://dallianceswithsuitsandskirts.blogspot.com/

caitlin said...

this is SUCH a great idea... i'll have to remember it for when i have children :) when i was a kid my parents used to encourage us to donate small amounts of money to heifer international and they would match whatever we donated. i thought it was a really lovely idea then, and i still do!

Katrina said...

This is an amazing idea! Especially when you have a bunch of people to buy for. Gotta remember this for next year!

Punky said...

I love this! I just found a charity that fills backbacks with clothes and toys for foster children. Which is such a good idea, I will be donating to them this year!

Kallie, Happy Honey and Lark said...

Heifer Intl' is my grandparents' favorite charity, so I was raised with it being my personal favorite. And also the hyper local ones near me (it feels good to help neighbors).
This is so nice of you to post, and thank you for not putting me through the Sarah Maclaughlin video. Its awful to watch.

heartacheintobeauty said...

I'm particularly fond of Defenders of Wildlife and Heifer International, because they do very good work with tangible results. I also frequently make donations to the New Alexandrian Library Project (http://www.sacredwheel.org/nal.html), which is working to build a new library (akin to the original library in Alexandria, Egypt) that is a repository for spiritual/magickal knowledge.

Lexi said...

I work for St. Jude Children's Eesearch Hospital so I would have to say that is my favorite non-profit org. We treat children from all over the United States and the world...and families never receive a bill for their treatment. I would highly suggest checking it out. :)

Telexx.tumblr.com

wildchild said...

this is a sweet idea, and i love that you make ornaments to remember it by and make it a little more tangible for the kids :)

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!