Tuesday, September 27, 2011

September 27, 2011: Floral, Chambray, Brown

Dress: Vintage via thrift (old)
Shirt: American Apparel
Belt: American Apparel
Shoes c/o ModCloth

I'm back in action! After nearly a month of not taking my own photos, I dragged my camera out of hiding, dusted off the cobwebs, and took some outfit shots yesterday. I admit, I've been off my game, since I've had the wedding photos and NYFW to tide me over, I've taken a little break from getting dressed up. Which, believe me, wasn't a good idea. It took me for-ever to piece this outfit together yesterday. Like, way too long for what it is. It doesn't help that my camera is broken: I dropped it while running out the door to catch my bus for NYC, and the lens broke. Not good! It's all duct-taped up right now and not working very well. I guess I'll be saving my pennies for a new lens.

Yesterday was my kind of day: I did some work in the AM, grabbed a coffee with my husband (aka Chris...I just like saying Husband), and then headed off to Portsmouth, NH for lunch at the Friendly Toast and a stop at The Enormous Tiny Art Show with the wonderful Elise of Argyle Whale and Daphne of The Living Words (two amazing- and amazingly funny- ladies), there may have been a Savers pit-stop in there somewhere, too. The weather has been extremely summery lately, much to my chagrin. This always happens: I put away my summer clothes in favor for autumnal wools and flannels, and then BAM! it's 80 degrees again. Boo hiss. So, I made due by quickly taking in this dress which has been languishing in my to-be-altered closet for a year and a half. I added a little button-up and a belt, and then went with some almost-sensible-but-still-heeled clogs.

26 comments:

Elegantly Academic said...

Awww, you have been busy. I think getting married & attending NYFW are the perfect excuse. But still lovely to see some outfit photos again. You look lovely ...
Kelly xo

Samantha Chu Ramage. said...

very cute. i love the wedding pics. you can keep them coming! see you at the swap!

xo
sami

blue roses said...

the belt is a great idea, it definitely adds some structure and a flair; i frequently use the same technique with particular skirts or dresses i wish were more tailored (for my body) but have not gotten around to doing it...

http://dallianceswithsuitsandskirts.blogspot.com/

Dawn said...

Julie it is so nice to read Chris and husband in the same sentence...made me smile. You look beautiful and I am very happy for you. 80 degrees is too hot. Come on Fall. Dawn suitcase vignettes xo

GIRL AND CLOSET said...

Sounds like you had a delightful day Julie. And this outfit is adorable, love that you added that sweet chambray shirt under that super pretty vintage dress, such a great outfit!! And you're looking extra gorgeous in these photos. xo veronika

Hanna said...

you look lovely and it looks like the weather is really warm as well (like you wrote). Over here it is beautiful as well, but gladly not that warm (and not that cold either) so it's basically the perfect fall weather.

Manding. said...

love the floral print against all this vine. and yes, i agree with the whole summer into fall transition in the northeast. the last week of summer was so chilly; and the first week of fall i've been blasting my AC unit !
ps, http://amandamantes.blogspot.com !

Veronika said...

this combination is really interesting, I like it. :-) reminds me of sprincg actually ..

curious constellation said...

This outfit is gorgeous. The floral and the denim work so well together.

soanthro said...

That dress is gorgeous, love how you styled it! And Friendly Toast= probably the most delicious restaurant known to mankind.

FutureLint said...

The top is really cute under the dress! I never think to button shirts all the way up, I must try it some time!

Joy said...

Love the mix of texture and colour! Unexpectedly pleasing to the eye.

~ Kelly Ann ♥ said...

I just love your ombrea haircolor--I wish my hair was this long! Love your fashion blog!

FALL SALE--
All photos in the Prints Available of my website are 15% off
http://kellyannstudio.blogspot.com/

Spinner's End said...

i know what you mean about the weather, i'm so ready for fall but it's like summer has come back for revenge with the humidity this week. i love how you layered the dress over the chambray shirt. very tailored looking, but still fun and young. i can't imagine how crazy it must be to start referring to chris as your husband now, after so many years of calling him your boyfriend. it's very sweet!

spinnersendvintage.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

What shoes are those? I love them.

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

I love this outfit, it's super-cute with that little blouse underneath. But boo, hiss about the camera for sure...

Sweet Harvest Moon said...

Lovely and cute!

Orchid Grey said...

Anon: The shoes are Jeffrey Campbell's from last fall, they were called the "Practically Famous Clog" on ModCloth

witch hare said...

Sounds like a lovely day - it's great to get work over and done with in the morning.
I really like your outfit, especially the baby blue shirt.

witchhare.blogspot.com/

Birta said...

I got married a year and a half ago, and I still love calling him Husband, haha. It never gets old!

Jamie Rose said...

I absolutely love that top layered under your pretty floral dress. So cute.

peaches & dream said...

i *thought* it was you i spied in the parking lot at savers! i was coming in as you three were leaving but i was too shy to say hello. oh well, next time!

Michal said...

Ooo I love this outfit! The dress works great as a jumper. Sounds like you had a great day too. I absolutely LOVE the Friendly Toast! :)

Carly said...

Oh my god, I totally feel you. I'm over here at Worcester, and all I want to do is wear my cute cardigans. If it's not warm and sticky here, its raining!! So frustrating. I cannot wait for the fall weather.

Emma B said...

the friendly toast is the BOMB! i live near portsmouth and it's wonderful for day trips. have you check out Second Time Around? Awesome thrift store down in Ports. I always find something cool there. :D

Llara is the Little Scribbler said...

The dress is very lovely. As is the lighting. In Scotland, that lighting was, in the olden days, known as the gloaming. F.A.C.T.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!