Monday, September 12, 2011

Our Wedding: Save the Dates & Invites

When I came across this post on Ruffled, I bookmarked it immediately. Since we were planning to have our wedding at my childhood home in Maine, I loved the idea of using vintage Maine & New Hampshire- Chris's home state- post cards as save the dates (left image). We spent the remainder of last summer and early fall scouring flea markets and Ebay searching for unused postcards for our project. Once we had accumulated enough, it came time to get stamping. We bought an inexpensive stamp set from Staples and stamped the backs with our information.

For our invitations I knew I wanted something special. We toyed around with the idea of designing our own postcard, or reproducing a postcard we both liked, but in the end thought of something better: hiring an extremely talented friend. Our dear friend and talented illustrator, Adam Ziskie, designed a custom postcard for our invitations, he took what we loved about the old postcards we were sending out as save the dates, and turned it into a modern postcard of our very own:
Image ©Adam Ziskie

22 comments:

Little Lo Hood said...

I am head over heels in love with your custom invitations! SO perfect! And a great keepsake :) -Lo

Victoria said...

Very creative.

wildchild said...

oh my gosh, they're beautiful! they look just like you two and i love the mood of them.

Manding. said...

STOP IT RIGHT NOW. these are absolutely perfect ! if only i could find a man to whisk me away to live on some land in maine, could i steal this idea from you. A+. congratulations.

ps, http://amandamantes.blogspot.com !

Kristina said...

It's beautiful! I like your wedding so much!

Rae Veda said...

Those are so so perfect! I've never seen anything so cute! Xo, RaeVeda

http://aneclecticheap.blogspot.com/

Voilà! said...

These are beautiful! So unique and imaginative! Congrats! It was nice meeting you at LuckyFABB and the ModCloth Swap, btw!

~Meghan

Beth said...

Those are adorable! Perfectly brilliant. Bookmarking this for future reference :)

Katrina said...

I love the vintage postcard idea, and I am even more obsessed with the custom invite! So beautiful, and what a wonderful, unique keepsake!

Joy said...

Aww this is just super sweet

Spinner's End said...

wow, i really love these! that illustration really adds a sense of whimsy that i think is too often missing from wedding invites. i'm so sick of sterile, white stationary. weddings should reflect the personality of the bride and groom, and what better way to showcase that than with a custom illustration drawn by a friend?
spinnersendvintage.blogspot.com

Kat said...

Those invitations are absolutely beautiful! I love them so much.

Congratulations again on the wedding!

-Kat
http://certainsomethingvtg.etsy.com

2Gitanas said...

OMG Im in LOVE! these are adorable! Farah www.2-gitanas.blogspot.com

Sweet Harvest Moon said...

Oh my, they are amazing! Love this!

Caitlin said...

These are beautiful!

Jo said...

They are so incredibly darling <3 I love love love the illustration especially ,3

x
Lost in the Haze

Kellie W. said...

Those are the cutest invitations I've ever seen! If the invites are this clever, I can't imagine how cool your actual wedding will be!

Mel said...

These are the best wedding invitations i've ever seen. Hands down. So pretty, creative, romantic, amazing. LOVED seeing your wedding pics too. It looks wonderful! Congratulations!

maria said...

I LOVE these invitations, they're amazing! So creative and personal, and the drawing is fantastic! It looks just like you two but so dreamy.

Kristin said...

Amazing! I love the art/postcard inspired invitation. It makes it so much more personal!

Mikhaila said...

Wow, absolutely love the postcard save the date idea and the invitation is AMAZING!

Mikhaila
mikhailasimeon.weebly.com

london camille said...

now this is cool. awesome, awesome, awesome!
xo-london camille

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!