Thursday, June 23, 2011

Something completely different: Cookies!

When I posted to Twitter last night that I made vegan cookies, a couple of lovely ladies requested the recipe. Having no posts planned for today, I thought I would do something different and post my tried and true recipe, adapted from The Garden of Vegan, one of my all time favorite cookbooks. Now, I'm not vegan, but I was vegetarian for a long time, and during that time (which included college) I accumulated a mass of vegetarian and vegan cookbooks. I loved the Garden of Vegan series for it's simplicity, the recipes were easily adapted to a vegetarians diet, and most importantly, easy to change up and experiment with. I still use them often. Anyways without further ado:

Julie's Version of "Maureen's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies" (adapted from The Garden of Vegan)

You will need:

3/4 cup flour (I use whole wheat)
1/2 cup dry sweetener (regular old sugar is fine if you're not vegan)
2 cups rolled oat flakes
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 slightly overripe banana
1/3 cup olive oil (I use extra virgin)
1/2 cup maple syrup (the real kind)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
(Here's where I change it)
what it calls for:
1- 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips

What I actually put in:
1/2 cup coconut flake
1/2 - 1 cup raisins
1/2- 1 cup chocolate chips (optional at this point)

What to do:
Preheat oven to 350*f. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sweetener, rolled oats, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a blender, blend together the banana, olive oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Pour banana mixture into flour mixture and stir. Add the coconut flake, raisins, and chocolate chips (and whatever else you feel like), and stir until well combined (it won't be as doughy as regular cookie dough). Spoon heaping tablespoons of dough onto a cookie sheet and press flat with your fingers or the spoon, the cookies will seem crumbly, but they'll be solid after baking, don't worry. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are browned. Let cool and gently peel off cookie sheet. Makes about 10-14 cookies. Refrigerate to keep fresh. Enjoy!

Note: this recipe was adapted from Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer's The Garden of Vegan cookbook

PS. To everyone attending the Lulu's.com & Swapaholics clothing swap today in SF, sadly my feet are still firmly planted on Massachusetts soil. I was very unfortunately unable to attend, but I'll be thinking of you as I make espressos and smoothies this afternoon! Happy Swapping! If you still haven't nabbed your ticket, you can still use the code ORCHIDGREY to receive 25% off!