Thursday, June 23, 2011

Something completely different: Cookies!

When I posted to Twitter last night that I made vegan cookies, a couple of lovely ladies requested the recipe. Having no posts planned for today, I thought I would do something different and post my tried and true recipe, adapted from The Garden of Vegan, one of my all time favorite cookbooks. Now, I'm not vegan, but I was vegetarian for a long time, and during that time (which included college) I accumulated a mass of vegetarian and vegan cookbooks. I loved the Garden of Vegan series for it's simplicity, the recipes were easily adapted to a vegetarians diet, and most importantly, easy to change up and experiment with. I still use them often. Anyways without further ado:

Julie's Version of "Maureen's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies" (adapted from The Garden of Vegan)

You will need:

3/4 cup flour (I use whole wheat)
1/2 cup dry sweetener (regular old sugar is fine if you're not vegan)
2 cups rolled oat flakes
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 slightly overripe banana
1/3 cup olive oil (I use extra virgin)
1/2 cup maple syrup (the real kind)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
(Here's where I change it)
what it calls for:
1- 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips

What I actually put in:
1/2 cup coconut flake
1/2 - 1 cup raisins
1/2- 1 cup chocolate chips (optional at this point)

What to do:
Preheat oven to 350*f. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sweetener, rolled oats, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a blender, blend together the banana, olive oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Pour banana mixture into flour mixture and stir. Add the coconut flake, raisins, and chocolate chips (and whatever else you feel like), and stir until well combined (it won't be as doughy as regular cookie dough). Spoon heaping tablespoons of dough onto a cookie sheet and press flat with your fingers or the spoon, the cookies will seem crumbly, but they'll be solid after baking, don't worry. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are browned. Let cool and gently peel off cookie sheet. Makes about 10-14 cookies. Refrigerate to keep fresh. Enjoy!

Note: this recipe was adapted from Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer's The Garden of Vegan cookbook

PS. To everyone attending the Lulu's.com & Swapaholics clothing swap today in SF, sadly my feet are still firmly planted on Massachusetts soil. I was very unfortunately unable to attend, but I'll be thinking of you as I make espressos and smoothies this afternoon! Happy Swapping! If you still haven't nabbed your ticket, you can still use the code ORCHIDGREY to receive 25% off!

17 comments:

Tess said...

I'm a big fan of cookie posts. Thumbs up! They look delicious. If I didn't just eat that entire banana bar cake, I'd be right on these.

Sweet Harvest Moon said...

They look so yummy mmm ;)

http://sweetharvestmoon.blogspot.com

Lenore @ Lather. Write. Repeat. said...

I love to pepper my outfit posts with recipes and diy's...and I love it when other bloggers do too! The cookies look yummy, must try!

XO
Lenore

Nicole said...

Oh wow, I was expecting a complicated recipe that would make me click away in an instant. But these vegan cookies are super simple using fresh ingredients! I'll have to look for a copy of Garden of Vegan now...

RCagz said...

Ooo cool, my sister's actually allergic to eggs so this recipe is perfect! And the cookies look so lush too xoxo

Caitlin said...

yay! I'm excited to try these out

Taimi said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Have you ever checked out the vegan blog Oh She Glows? She has realllly great vegan baking recipes. I love them and I'm not even vegan.

Bri said...

These look delicious!

Chey said...

Thanks for the recipe, my boyfriend is vegan and I always try to bake goodies for him as grocery stores often dont have very many options. Cant wait to try them!


-chey

Jesse @ Happy Go Lucky Vegan said...

I love your clothing style... and now vegan cookies?! You make it impossible not to get some serious work done and check your blog!

Lauren Hairston said...

I'm a huge fan of coconut in baked goods! These sound delicious! I had no idea sugar wasn't vegan. It's a good thing I don't have any vegan friends--I would have been compromising their beliefs by serving them baked goods!

Orchid Grey said...

Glad you all appreciated the recipe! Lauren, many vegans consider regular old white sugar to be non-vegan because it passes through a filter composed of animal bone char during the refinement process. An unfortunate fact!

Anonymous said...

Im not a vegan or vegetarian either but for some reason I find it really satisfying when you know something is totally animal free. I definitely will give these cookies a go! thanks for sharing.

payment protection insurance said...

What a yummy cookies. I just try it myself and gave it to one my friend. She like it very much. Thanks for sharing!

Morgan and Lua said...

I must make these soon! They look delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Idée Géniale said...

Ahh! I make these ALL THE TIME!! honestly, they've never turnd out bad. I wish i knew Maureen so i could thank her!

imovie for windows said...

Really a yummy cookies. I just try at my home and my family eat these cookies. They love it very much. Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!