Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Jumping Someone Else's Train

Dress: Delightful Dozen swap with Annie
Lace vest: Vintage from my mom's closet
Bag: Vintage/thrifted D&B ($12)
Coat: Urban Outfitters ($30)
Tights: AA
Another Delightful Dozen look for you today. Over the weekend I took advantage of the sunny (but still cold) weather to shoot the two dresses that I've been holding captive. When I fist received this dress of Annie's I wasn't sure how I would style it, I liked the creme and beige polka-dots, but the silhouette wasn't something I would normally gravitate towards. I decided that I wanted to style a monochrome outfit, focusing on the neutrals in the dress. I added caramel colored tights, darker brown thigh highs, and clogs in a medium shade. To break up all the brown and add some texture, I threw on this lace vest, which is proving to be one of the most versatile pieces in my closet. My accessories came last, and I have to say I really wasn't focused on them. I added my squirrel necklace from ModCloth, because I haven't worn it in nearly a year.

I did however, really want to showcase my new bag. Last monday Savers had a huge 50% off sale for President's Day, I wasn't expecting to find anything because the place was packed, but I went anyway because who can resist 50% off thrift store prices? I always hit the shoes and bags first and lo and behold, buried among the LV and Chanel rip-offs, there was this beauty. A slightly larger version of my forrest green D&B bag, this will be perfect for Spring. There's some ink stains on the front, but for $12 I don't care. It fits library books and my date planner, so I'm all set!
Have you visited the new Delightful Dozen blog? Hurry over to enter the giveaways!

22 comments:

tastymoog said...

Was it $12 after the 50% off?? Savers has jacked their prices since last I've been there (in '05, though in my experience the ones in the Boston area were always marked up). Still, $12 for vintage d&b (the best kind!) is pretty awesome.

Orchid Grey said...

TM: yes it was originally $24, which is kind of expensive, but for this, I think worth it. Saver's does have higher prices (especially compared to the charity shops I grew up with), but so does Salvation Army these days. Unfortunately the thrift stores seem to have caught on to people liking them!

Steffy's Pro's and Con's said...

wow that dress is DEF worth $24, i feel like maybe i could find it at goodwill for cheaper but on etsy it would be more expensive. it is so adorable, and so are you!!

<3 steffy
steffysprosandcons.blogspot.com

Morgan said...

I absolutely adore this entire outfit.

Amelia said...

obsessed, the lace vest completely transforms the dress. love everything about this

Kitsune-kun said...

love the monochromatic scheme. lovely!

Camilla. said...

the lace detail is just perfect xx

intothefoldfashion.blogspot.com

Erin and Caroline said...

The lace was such an awesome way to style the dress!

- Caroline (http://keepcalmandstyleon.blogspot.com)

kate maggie said...

Too much goodness in this outfit. You have inspired me to pull out my clogs again. I have missed them over winter! You look beautiful as always. xo

Stef / Diversions said...

Your bag is a lovely find and fits so well with this look too :) Love the mix of warm tones and the lace vest is just perfect! :)

cb said...

great outfit! looks like a zara dress? i see the little peter pan collar peeking out!! i love the lace vest layered on top!

xo,
cb

Kayla said...

This look is straight out of the Threadesence Spring lookbook! Adorable!

Erin and Caroline said...

I love the color palette! And like everyone said, what a creative way to style this dress with that beautiful lace vest! I can't wait to see how everyone else will style it. =)

-Erin (keepcalmandstyleon.blogspot.com)

Kimberellie said...

I LOVE this outfit. And I ADORE your D&B bag! GREAT colours! And nice and big too! I might have to get a big one for a diaper bag (no way I'll use a real diaper bag). Though I am never so fortunate to find them at thrift stores and will probably get one online!

but yes, you look simply gorgeous. and the first photo is "too cool" ;-)!

much love: kimberellie (with a baby in her belly)

Ashlee said...

i love the way you styled this dress! i have my mama's vintage dooney and i love it to pieces.

Libby, Vintage Aplomb said...

I love how you styled this outfit, and I'm sure you get this all of the time, but I love your hair!

Aubsent From Texas said...

I am a big fan of polka dots. As always, you tie things together in a way that is so perfectly unique.
Take care
Aubrey

Rachel said...

The dress is awesome, especially layered with the vest! Love the colors. :D

Stacey Kay said...

Great outfit, I love the over the knee highs with it! And that vintage Dooney is DIVINE!

xoxo
Stacey Kay
“Runway Inspiration, Vintage Decoration”
www.GoodwillHuntingg.com
How to identify a fake Louis Vuitton handbag
My Vintage Handbag Line

Abby said...

This is why I read your blog. Awesome.

kiki said...

hey julie- i see those rad clogs you're wearing are from modcloth, but who makes them? they don't seem to be on the site anymore...

Jannine said...

I love this. Really, all of your outfits are just so perfect.
added to my queue here
theninthofjanuary.tumblr.com

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!