Thursday, October 14, 2010

Wedding Thursday: Inspired by Yoko

Welcome to Orchid Grey's first Wedding Thursday! I'm so glad to hear that -the majority of- you are interested in seeing some wedding inspiration, because I would love to share at least a little bit of our wedding planning with you. Now, as predominantly a fashion blog, I figured I would start off on the fashion end of things: the dress! However, before we get started I have a little secret to share with you: I already have it! Yup it's true, I actually bought my wedding dress four months before Chris proposed. Some may call me crazy, but I call it fate. But that's all I can say about it, because the groom-to-be is an avid reader of O.G. BUT, that won't stop me from sharing some of my favorite wedding looks. To start us off, I'll be doing a little series of posts inspired by some stylish brides of the past...
If you asked me a year ago what my wedding dress inspiration would be, I would have told you Yoko Ono at the White Cliffs of Dover. I love that she married John Lennon wearing a simple white skirt and top, knee socks, and...sneakers. It's adorable and totally 60's. Below is my updated version:

I dressed up Yoko's look by choosing a slightly more dressier dress, the rhinestones around the neck and arms makes accessorizing simple. Instead of sneakers, sweet ballet flats with bows. And some Chanel inspired sunnies to top off the look. This look would be perfect for eloping with your sweetheart to some undisclosed location to tie the knot, it's simple and travels easily, but still packs a fashionable and unique punch!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to enter the Bearcat Vintage Giveaway!

20 comments:

tastymoog said...

ohh i love this post. i too am inspired by beatles' weddings, and plan to wear something short and sleeved. i adore yoko's look here... but, i might be more partial to linda's goldenrod coat and paul's matching silk tie. :)

One Girl said...

I've always loved Yoko and John's wedding photos. They had to go all the way to the Rock of Gibraltar to get married without thousands of people trying to invade their space. I think this is a great outfit idea!!!!!

Archives said...

omg i LOVE that you got your dress before you were engaged! since i buy/sell vintage wedding dresses, i definitely always keep my eye out for "the one" just in case i come across it in a thrift store!

now, getting my bf to actually put a ring on it...different story. hah! ;)


is your dress vintage? can you at least tell us where you got it? gah! cant wait to see!!!

Alli XT said...

I love Yoko Ono so much - she is amazing. Three years ago my ex and I dressed as John and Yoko on their wedding day for Halloween. A few months later we were working on The Beatles: Rock Band and he got to spend a day workshopping with Yoko.

Diya said...

no wedding for me anytime soon but this outfit collage you've come up with SO amazingly cute that I might have to see the inspiration for a summer date or something...it's so adorable!

Amanda said...

When I was planning my wedding (it was only two months of planning, we move fast) I had women of the 60's as inspiration. I wanted it very boho and loose and fun.

Your modern interpretation is perfect! I love it.

Hope said...

I bought my dress before I got engaged too! I felt really sacrilegious doing it, but in the end it totally worked out. I wanted to make sure I had enough time for the alterations and such. Love the Yoko/John inspiration! I think the look could definitely translate to 2010 in a modern way.

Angie D said...

Ah! I love your style!
The way you translate vintage styles is so new and breathtaking :)

Emily, Ruby Slipper Traveller said...

Yes! I wasn't at first too interested in the thought of the wedding feature, but if it's going to be like this... ; )

I've always thought I'd quite like to elope, and Yoko's (and your) outfits are obviously perfect for that! Have you seen the film Georgie Girl from the '60s? It features quite an effortless wedding in that style..

Abbey said...

I love the hat! Can't wait to see your dress!

Sidewalk Chalk said...

I love this idea for a wedding dress feature! Oh man, this is going to be great! Love your interpretation of Yoko's dress.


JoAnn
Enter to win a 1960s vintage handbag!
Sidewalk Chalk

Kellie W. said...

I've always loved Yoko's wedding look, it was so casual and simple! Someday when I get married, I can imagine wearing something like this.

Raji said...

Oooh great post!
I think she looks so cute and retro, I love how you've updated it, that look is simplistic and beautiful.
Your dress must be so gorgeous!

Bea Modisett said...

Julie - you're getting MARRRIEEEEDDDD!!!!
Mehwidge, is what bwings us togedder today.

Nuvelle Vague said...

I've always loved Yoko and John's wedding photos ^.^

http://acquadirosa.blogspot.com/

rwoodhouse0214 said...

60s mod would definitely be a great wedding theme. How do you feel about Lennon's wedding attire? Do you like his casual look, or do you like a more formal and suit and necktie look.

The Village Idiot said...

you have crazy cool hair to pull of this look! (ACTUALLY YOU HAIR IS A GAZILLION TIMES BETTER!)

Casa de Loco said...

It is an amazing wedding dress and a wonderful inspiration, but John and Yoko famously married each other in Gibraltar.

That's The Rock of Gibraltar behind them... Not Dover's white cliffs.

Congrats.

It's A Jaime Thing said...

Awesome inspiraion - excited to see more wedding inspiration on your blog - congrats on your engagement!!! I write a wedding blog, do stop by for a site visit sometime! ;)

Cheers & happy planning!!!
~Jaime :)

piglet said...

Haha I love that your already bought your dress!
I had already bought my wedding shoes before we got engaged - I used fate as my excuse too, the only pair left in my size in the whole city, that's fate enough for me!
Looking forward to seeing more wedding inspirations :)

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!