Friday, October 22, 2010

In her kiss, the revolution

Top to bottom:
Hat: Chris' vintage
Sweater: Thrifted vintage
Shirt: Thrifted vintage
Belt: American Apparel
Skirt: Cali Select vintage
Tights: TjMaxx
Shoes: Thrifted
Bag: Thrifted D&B
Large, oversized sweaters have been a wardrobe staple of mine lately. I love the big knit trend that seems to re-surface every year (I would argue it's less of a trend here than a necessity), and love it even more when I can find a big knit sweater at the thrift store. I found this beauty last Saturday when Chris and I went to Savers. It was surprisingly the only article of clothing I walked away with, but I love it so much. I'm still searching for the perfect coat for this year, so in the meantime these big sweaters easily take the place of a traditional jacket.

This has been kind of a uniform for me lately, neutrals and layers. It's the perfect look for fall because as the day gets warmer, you can just take off a layer. As I unpacked my winter wardrobe last weekend, I've realized that my vintage skirt stash needs replenishing. I can't go on wearing the same wool camel skirt, no matter how fabulous, because I'll simply wear it out. I think another thrift shopping excursion is in the books for this weekend, then!

It's kind of amazing, I never realized that my town actually does experience a little bit of fall. The past three years I've been traveling so much that fall seems to whiz by unnoticed and I always said that the leaves seem to just shrivel up and fall off, but this year is different. Since I'm no longer an admissions counselor (thank god) and running around like crazy, I can actually stop and see that the trees are kind of beautiful around here!
Do you have anything fun planned for this weekend? Chris and I are- yet again- looking forward to staying home. We've been working so much lately that I feel like I haven't seen my apartment in ages, even though I'm here right now. I think thrift shopping is the perfect activity for this weekend, don't you agree?

Happy Friday!!!!

25 comments:

Alice and me said...

Wow, your outfits are always so cute! Your style is just awesome!

Have a nice weekend with Chris!
Love from Germany!
Alice.

amanda said...

absolutely fantastic! i love all your layers and how you wear gorgeous fall neutrals. this is just fabulous. and yes, thrifting is always the perfect weekend activity.

amber said...

Love the outfit! This wknd I am doing my very first 5k! yay!

Have a great weekend :)

Rebecca said...

Thrifting is always the perfect activity. I love this outfit. You work layers/textures so well.

Claire Marie said...

I can't get over how beautiful the color of those tights is. Very lovely.

Katie said...

i LOVE plum + caramel colors together for fall. pretty pretty pretty!

Lexie, Little Boat said...

that sweater looks so warm and cozy! and the hat! perfection.

Kate said...

May be a silly question, but how do you tie your belts like that? I love it!

briannelee said...

I am making an early morning Savers run tomorrow (the Framingham one). Hope you find some good things!!!

Beatrice said...

I love this! you look so cozy and cute ^,^

Eli said...

this is such a pretty and perfect look for fall, we get no fall at all in vegas. It just gets chilly then freezing cold. take advantage of what you get!

I am Khatu said...

love running into Boston bloggers!

Kellie W. said...

Perfect outfit for autumn! It looks so warm and nice! And I feel the same way about my thrifted black skirt- I've been wearing it so much that I need a second one, just so i don't wear it out!

kelly ann said...

i LOVE that hat. a lot. and the plaid. and the cozy-looking sweater. and everything. ;)

Angie D said...

Couldn't agree more! My husband and I live for thrifting ;)

Chloe, Butterfly Cupcakes said...

That sweater is truely amazing.

Lady Moriarty said...

This is a perfect combo and I love the tights so much

You're such a lovely lady !

See U !

upatreecupatea said...

i love weekend thrifting, well...especially friday thrifting. some places are just way too crazy on saturdays!

loooove this outfit so very much!

Kate Maggie said...

babe central! I love how you look in all of these photographs, and your hair! eep. so jealous! x

whatiwore said...

Wow, I have major sweater envy right now! Lovely combination, that skirt is adorable too. You are quite the thrifter!

MOONBEAM said...

Love your outfits, really good ones. I've a blog, I'd appreciate if u could have a look at it. Thanks! disguiseandillusion.blogspot.com

Aimee said...

Ah I really want a vintage D&B! I think I'm going to need to do some etsy/ebay stalking for one when I'm back in the states.



In Class, En Vogue

Terri said...

the sweater is a great find, but it was the hat and your expressions that struck me in this post. :)

Bostonista said...

Love the maroon tights AND the bag!
Lovely!
xo

Kayley said...

So awesome! I love everything about this outfit - the plaid shirt, the chunky sweater,the tucked belt, and the color of those tights is to die for!

I am so glad that there are options for cute, flat, cool weather shoes this year. I have a pair of oxfords and I am in love with them!

Great blog!
- Kayley

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!