Thursday, July 15, 2010

Our House

Hat: Brixton Castor ($28 w/discount)
Top: Thrifted in Maine ($2)
Shorts: Thrifted in MA ($5)
Belt: Vintage (very old gift from Mom)
Necklace: Forever 21 ($9)
Sandals: c/o PacSun
I have been living in various forms of this outfit for days. I first wore it roller-skating this past weekend (check out the terrible, dazed and confused image at the bottom of this post for proof), which incidentally is my new favorite hobby. I may or may not have worn it again on Sunday. Then I wore it to drive out to Jen's in NY on Monday afternoon. Aaaaaaand now I'm wearing it again today. It's a good "hang around" outfit: casual but still "dressed". And as I told you in yesterday's post, I probably will be wearing this hat for the rest of the summer. I love the print of this top, and can't wait until fall to pair it with my black suede skirt. It seems like these prints have been everywhere lately, which is definitely something I am not complaining about, they go with practically everything.

On the subject of my belt, I actually think I have posted about it before, but this is one of the oldest pieces of true vintage I own. The belt is hand tooled leather and brass from the mid sixties and was given to me by my mother when I was in 7th grade. My mom is probably the main reason why I am such an appreciator of vintage clothes, I was brought up thrift shopping for necessity and was wearing her clothes from the seventies as a middle-schooler (she was a very tiny lady). At the time I was definitely envious of my richer peers whose families could afford extravagant wardrobes from the Gap, Express, and Limited (cool brands at the time), but looking back I'm proud of my weirdness, I think the experience of not being popular and not being one of the cool kids helped shape me into the person I am today.
See? Told you. I love roller-skating.
I also just want to take a second to welcome the newest members of the Delightful Dozen, Maria from Lulu Letty and Jessica from Vintage Virgin! Sadly, Krystal and Jess had to resign because they've been so busy and while I'm sad to see them go, I'm really excited to see what these two ladies have to offer in terms of inspiration and styling! Remember, you can also become fans of the Delightful Dozen and Orchid Grey on Facebook!

Oh! and one more thing! Jessica of What I Wore is a finalist in the "Fall in Love in Iceland" honeymoon contest, it would be really cool if you could take a minute to vote for her here (Jessica Schroeder). As an unmarried, and therefore unhoneymooned girl myself, I can only imagine the thrill of winning an amazing honeymoon, especially an Icelandic honeymoon! let's help a fellow blogger out!

32 comments:

number the first said...

That outfit is super cute! I can see why you'd want to wear it so often <3 That belt is wonderful. I feel like certain experiences that were negative when we were younger often lead to a different set of skills and appreciations later on. I'm glad we can be thankful for our 'weirdness'

Lauren said...

Really, really cute outfit! I love your vintage belt - so,so cool!

Also, would you mind posting the link to the "Delightful Dozen" again? For some reason, it goes to a non-existent page - I would really love to see it! :)

Small Time Style

Tiffany said...

I love the belt buckle, what a vintage treasure!

myedit said...

I'm glad we were on a tight budget growing up... thrifting was just a way of life and it feels so natural now.
This is a perfect summer outfit (as you have also figured out I'm sure...)

Santina said...

I love outfits that I can't resist wearing for days. And, the rollerskating picture is too cute!

Elaine said...

Those shorts are so cute!

clothed much, a modest fashion blog

♥Lola said...

Love this outfit! So cute :) I'm going iceskating tonight and I'm sure I won't look nearly as graceful as you :) Voted for Jess and become your fan on facebook! Have a lovely weekend :)

Birta said...

That's funny. I'm going on a honeymoon in August to Iceland!
I'm from Iceland but I live in NYC, so maybe that doesn't count, I've seen it all before :)

I will definitely vote for Jessica, I love her blog and a honeymoon in Iceland should be a wonderful experience for her.

Love, looove your shorts.

eleanor said...

I LOVE that bottom photo! Haha.

And I love how casual this outfit is but you still look polished! That hat is perfect.

X

michelle_ said...

very cute casual outfit !
the belt and the hat are the perfect accessories to complete this outfit :)
i find it hard to dress stylishly in summer but you dressed really well !

www.glistersandblisters.com

fashionjunkie said...

A lovely casual outfit for the summer, love the colour and the pattern of the shirt!

www.fashionjjunkie.blogspot.com

Sarah Rachel said...

Great outfit! Do you realise your belt buckle looks like a marajuana leaf? Or is it just me?lol

x

Camilla said...

I like the simplicity of sandals, and Im a hopeless fail at rollerblading.

INTOTHEFOLDFASHION.BLOGSPOT.COM

Dominika said...

great look!
love it!
<3

Marloes said...

Oh I love your outfit. And your hair. Unbelievable it's the first time I stumble across your blog! Definitely going to follow! :D

Rosie said...

Bah I love roller skating! I so want to go now!

Jessica Joan said...

Thanks for the shout out Julie!

And rollar skates! Ooooh. Love it!

Half Dressed said...

I used to love roller skating, but it's been so long since i've been! Love the outfit too :)

L x

http://only-halfdressed.blogspot.com/

Mari said...

As a roller derby skater I say, "Oh god! Get knee pads immediately! They're all naked and vulnerable out there."

But seriously, you're standing straight up and you don't even have pants on. You can really hurt yourself; bust a knee or break a wrist. If you do fall try to land on your butt and don't put a hand out.

Orchid Grey said...

Mari, thank you. I will definitely be wearing knee pads next time. However, I was standing straight up for the picture, not for the actual skating.

Also, thanks for the tips on falling, as a former skateboarder and competitive snowboarder, I have a lot of experience with wiping out- falling in those sports is very similar.

Lucia said...

I love the shorts! Looks great on you!

enter my giveaway :)
hellolucie.blogspot.com

Caroline said...

Great casual summer outfit! I can see why you wore it so often. And wow, that belt is great! Such a unique piece. If you wore that in 7th grade, you were definitely one hip and happening child. (Totally serious!) Also, those sandals are really neat.

Erin Cathleen said...

I just love the vintage vibe of this outfit. That belt is truly amazing, and the shorts make you look model-tall (lucky girl!). I grew up thrifting and wearing vintage and being the poor, "unpopular" girl and went through all the awkward crap too, so you know what... my friends and I always hung out at the roller rink in junior high. It became OUR cool thing to do. Ha. ^_^ So thanks, this post of yours brings back some memories of mine! Let's all have fun marching to the beat of a different drum...

northwest is best said...

Lovely outfit! Sometimes an outfit is just so perfect that I'll wear it several times in a week. I'm a busy woman, there's not always time for changing.

Amanda said...

Love the outfit, love the story! I think your "weirdness" is a big part of the draw for me. I grew up in a poor family in wealthy community, if my clothes weren't thrifted, they were my mom's or hand-me-downs from my sister and neighbors.

It has absolutely made me who I am today, I love the quirkiness that comes with that upbringing, almost an "I just don't give a fuck" attitude. When you're wearing faded clothes from Goodwill, you kind of have to adopt that mind-set as a middle schooler. I was also a punk rock kid, and though I looked less the part than my peers, I was awarded the title "most punk rock" (whatever that means) for my thrifted and DIY clothes. Love it.

Heck yes to roller skating! I did it for my birthday last year. You really ought to buy yourself a pair of vintage skates, soooo worth it!

minnja said...

So beautiful!!!

http://minnja.blogspot.com/

Kathyrine said...

The belt is really cool and I love the print on the top, lovely outfit. :)

.Alyspank said...

I like what you said about the weirdness factor in junior high. I went down that exact same path... I was anything but popular, but looking back on it now, I wouldn't change a thing. You don't always have to have the finest clothes, the best looks, or the most money... all a girl needs is confidence in herself in order to be the most beautiful girl in the room.

-Weezy from http://beautysimplistic.blogspot.com/

Lexie, Little Boat said...

those shorts are fabulous -- they fit you so well! the colors & stripes in your tank are pretty too.

i learned to thrift from my grandmother, and i am so grateful she taught me how to look beyond mall brands!

fashionisfueledbyobsession said...

wow just came across your blog! love it!!

followed =D
come visit mine
http://fashionisfueledbyobsession.blogspot.com/
xxx

cb said...

OMG i am soo jealous that you went skating! i haven't been skating since i was in 8th grade and had thought about going with a bunch of friends for my birthday! you have inspired me to go! thanks lady :)

xo,
cb
www.thecitybirdsnest.blogspot.com

zoƫ biggs said...

haha i love that picture of you at the roller rink!! i definitely lol'd at the two red-eyed friends in the corner and the cheesy faux wood panelling. roller rinks are the BOMB.

... so is this outfit, by the way. you look so great in hats!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!