Monday, June 21, 2010

Tennessee Waltz

Dress: Handmade by my aunt
Shoes: Jeffrey Campbell ($60 sale)
Necklace: UO (anniversary gift from Chris from 2 yrs ago)
Bag: Thrifted ($10)
Photos by Chris
This dress is one of the more special things in my wardrobe, I've had it since I was in 7th grade. It was passed down to me after my late-aunt passed away from Leukemia, and I'm assuming it was handmade by her. Unfortunately, she passed away before Google came into existence, and my searches for information have turned up nothing, I DO know she played the Sugarplum Fairy in the Boston Ballet's rendition of the Nutcracker, and also enjoyed swing and contra dancing (Mom, if I'm wrong about any of this it's because you didn't get my fact-checking phone call). Anyways, I remember playing dress-up with this dress when I was younger (yes, I still played dress up in 7th grade...and I still do now), and honestly had forgotten about it until last summer when I found it at my mom's. I have miraculously grown into it! It's not one that I wear often, for fear of ruining it but Friday was a special occasion: My last full day of work for The College! Actually, I shouldn't say full day, as I got out at 1pm. Chris made plans for us to go into Boston, so we caught the 2:30 train and spent the afternoon and evening exploring Harvard Square, Newbury Street, and the Public Gardens. I felt extremely pretty.
We both wore our red shoes:
This dress was also perfect for debuting my new Jeffrey Campbell Splendid Clogs. You may remember them from this post, well I went ahead and ordered them. I can tell you one thing, it will be my last sorta-splurge for awhile, but I love them. My feet held up for most of the night, but I did get a couple of blisters.

I loved hearing your thoughts on my last post, I feel similarly to most of you in that, lately F21 and H&M just haven't been worth visiting. Maybe it's due to the backlash F21 has been receiving in regards to copyright infringement, I know I would be livid if I was a designer and saw my work cheaply copied by a mass-retailer. Perhaps they're reacting to that and cutting back on how blatantly they copy designers and popular fashion. Who knows, I admit to still going in there occasionally, if only to re-stock my collection of metal cross rings.

How was your weekend?