Monday, June 28, 2010

Over the weekend Style File...

Ah, how was everyone's weekend? Mine was so nice!
Shirt: J.Crew outlet ($40)
Skirt: Thrifted ($5)
Belt: Thrift (gift from mom)
Shoes: c/o Pac Sun Spring Break Crew
Sunglasses: Fred Flare ($11)
Necklace: c/o Dolly and Boy
Above Photos: Chris
These pictures are from Saturday when Chris and I travelled out to central Mass to go to Jen's baby shower. I wore this new-to-me skirt that I picked up on Friday, it reminds me of a cross between a Basquiat painting and an early 90's music video. Two excellent things. I actually found the skirt earlier in the week but decided against it because it was so bright. Well, when I went back to the thrift store and finding it still on the rack, I decided it was fate and it had to be mine. Because the print is so busy I paired it with a simple chambray shirt and favorite belt, and I'm wearing it again today with a grey t-shirt. I think a lot of the time prints like this can be intimidating, it seems like nothing would match it, when in fact they're incredibly versatile.

Jens's party was so much fun! It was refreshing to attend a baby shower where guests didn't ooh and ahh for hours while the mom-to-be opened gift after gift. I know I sound like a pessimist, but I've been to those kind of showers, and as a guest they're not fun. But instead of humiliating baby shower games (seriously, guess the baby food flavor...I don't know where to begin), there was tug of war, home run derby, and a bonfire with marshmallows. It was wonderful and I'm so glad I got to see Jen, I love that girl and she and Kev are going to be the most incredible parents! She even made her dress for the occasion, girl's got some serious skills:
Photo above: Kev
One of the best parts were the mustache photos!
Above photo: Jen
How was your weekend?

29 comments:

♥Lola said...

Cute! I saw the last photo of you on Jen's blog, it's so much fun :) How talented is she? I would love to be able to sew like that!

Meghan V. said...

Lovely skirt. The moustaches are too cute!

Laura, Owl Eyes said...

Love the last photo - but then again, I'm a sucker for kitschy mustache props :) Looks like a lovely weekend!

Lara said...

How fun! I love non-traditional baby showers. I plan to have one that is that way. i also love the skirt. I really dont feel like it is too bright. I think it works perfectly for summer.

Dip-tea said...

I love love love the skirt. Its so pretty. I saw Jen's baby shower pictures. I can see that you guys had the best time. It looked like so much fun! We had been to a BBQ party at our friends place. It was great too. The food was great and so was the weather and everyone was funny. So it was fun fun fun! :)

theoctoberissue said...

Fun.You look like me doing gymnastics :)

Honey Girl said...

It was so fun and so nice to meet you and your boyfriend! Let us know if you ever make it out to Cali ;)

Becca said...

I love the skirt! You're dead on with the Basquiat comparison. I'd love to hear your vintage shopping recommendations in the Boston area - have you posted about it before?

And, any party with mustaches on sticks is A-OK in my book!

Modesty is Pretty said...

great outfit both of you! but that picture where you are stretching your leg is so funny because of your hair and the glasses you look like that hairy uncle from the Adams Family hehehe =D

Sidewalk Chalk said...

Aww these photos are fun. I'm glad Jen's baby shower was great! Your new skirt is really pretty.

dandra said...

Cute skirt!

I like non-traditional baby showers. I had a friend who had a stripper at her's.

eleanor said...

haha, i love how you described the skirt! it's perfect.

that sounds like so much fun! love the outfit and the moustache photos!

X

Ella Valeris Morrol said...

Awwww... I died with your friend's belly! I love seeing pregnant women they seem so happy and bright I don't know how to explain it. LOL

Anyway is needless to say that I love your outfit and the flat sandals! OMG I swear I saw something like that in my mom's closet... I'm sooo gonna steal them from her!

Kisses!
http://ella-fashionista.blogspot.com

kenda, personality of meh said...

looks like the baby shower was fun. a lot better than the one's i've attended. those "traditional" games can be quite a bore.

carlyjcais said...

It sounds like you guys had a great time! The mustaches are so inventive - plus I love your skirt!

BTW, I love your blog and so I nominated you for a blog award. You can get it here:
http://www.chic-steals.com/2010/06/ive-received-2-blog-awards.html

Don't forget to list 7 things about yourself and nominate some other bloggers to pass the award on to!

Thanks for the inspiration!
xoxox
Carly

Brianna said...

I'm not sure how tall you are but that skirt makes you look really tall!!! Love the mustache pic.

http://the-not-so-secret-loves-of-bri.blogspot.com/

SWEATshirtDRESSshirt said...

what an adorable skirt! my favorite of these pictures would have to be the one of you and jen! also, great photo location! i am loving the train tracks.

xoxo
http://sweatshirtdressshirt.blogspot.com

upatreecupatea said...

Love the outfit! Sounds like you had a super fun weekend!

I worked all day Saturday and spent Sunday watching movies, eating ice cream, and trying not to cook in this Virginia heat :)

Midwest Mayhem said...

I love this outfit, it's so cute and playful. Also, great mustaches!

Kallie said...

Sweet skirt!!!!!!!! How are you not melting in long sleeves though??

A Stylized Hysteria said...

I love any baby shower that doesn't require guests to stare at cutout storks or naked babies! Jen looks adorable, and so do you!

Skyline Eyes said...

Loving the skirt, great thrift find! (:
x

Charlotte. said...

i love the moustache photo!

Clare said...

Aw, it looks and sounds like you had so much fun, and I love the outfit you wore!

valeriew said...

I absolutely love this skirt!! You look great!

xoxo
beauty and the budget

Lexie, Little Boat said...

you + jen make the sweetest pair! i love the picture of you and yer man too!

great party style for sure .. no pastel! ;)

Becca Jane said...

That sounds like the best shower I've heard of - I hate those silly shower games.. I've unfortunately played so many .. haha

Also? Love your skirt! The colours are fantastic!

Tiffany said...

How fun is that patterned skirt? Your best stuff is always thrifted. Lucky girl :)

Danielle said...

Mustache photos? That's adorable!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!