Thursday, October 29, 2009

Daily Style / Halloween Past...

Shirt: H&M (20.00 sale)
SKirt: Thrift (1.00)
Tights: TjMaxx (4.99)
Shoes: Target (6.99)
Necklaces: J.Crew (14.99) and H&M (9.90)
Bracelet: gift from Grandma
Travel Bag: Tag Sale (1.00)
I admit: I bought this shirt impulsively and had no idea on how to wear it up until today. I looks funny with jeans, but I love how it almost transforms into a dress when paired with this wool skirt. This kind of baggy silhouette is not a norm for me either- look at me, breaking out of the comfort zone! The skirt was also something in my wardrobe that didn't quite have a place- the waist is elastic, so it always fit a little funny. So, moral is: two wrongs can sometimes make a right, I guess! By the time I returned home from work, it was quite chilly out, hence the indoor photos. I think I finally found the one place in our apartment that I can adequately take pictures. Finally. Our place isn't necessarily un-photogenic, it's just arranged in such a way that every corner is taken. I should also say that Zephyr is in the bag in that right hand image, I was trying to get him to poke his head out- but, no dice.

So, in continuation with my Halloween theme, the below images are from the same week as yesterday's Royal Tenenbaum costumes:
When you go to art school (especially one that is down the road from Salem, MA...yes, the Salem), Halloween is not just one day, but sometimes the entire month of October. Meaning: lots of parties. These images are from the Halloween party hosted by the College in 2005. I was the official photographer of the evening, working in the studio taking pictures of everyone's costumes. I'll admit, my costume kind of sucks- I had just come from my other job at the time and decided to just wear the clothes I had on (if you recognize the shirt, I'm a big psychobilly fan) slap some black make-up on and go as a zombie. But, everyone said I just looked like I got beat up. Oh well. Adria is (again) Richie Tenenbaum and Emily is a Troll Doll (complete with jewel belly). Emily is amazing.

25 comments:

Clare said...

Hehe I love the Troll Doll! You kind of look like a beaten-up Rosie the Riveter. Pretty sweet. I love that new H&M blouse, too. This is such a sweet outfit.

Sarah Clarke Gaudet said...

Rosie the Riveter, exactly what I was thinking!!! Great outfit, love it all. Damien and I went as Margot and Richie Tenenbaum for our first halloween together. He great his beard for 3 months! I will have to dig out the photos and post one; it's our favorite costume to date!

www.smalltownchic.com

Sarah Clarke Gaudet said...

and by great I meant grew out his beard, ha!

Kyla said...

That bow shirt is sooo cool and I love the combination with the skirt!

Kass said...

I like this outfit a lot! It goes cute together, and sometimes it is better to get out of your comfort zone! :)

That purse is so cute, and for only $1?! what a steal

Taylor B. said...

That shirt is great! I wouldn't have known how to wear it, either, but you made it work!

thelasthurrah said...

What an adorable blouse!
Love the outfit!

http://thelasthurrahvintage.blogspot.com/

gina said...

Great bag! A little kitty head poking out would have been adorable!

I like the skirt and the shirt together. They look like a dress, and are quite complimentary together.

Kayla said...

It's funny because last year I as a troll doll. I wore a nude leotard and pinned a jewel on my belly, to really drive the point home. But even with the big purple standing up straight hair, the jewel and my little surfer shorts, no-one knew what I was. bummer..

Amy said...

Gorgeous outfit! I am dying for your bag!!

Hope you have a fantastic weekend and a Happy Halloween!

xoxo
Amy

thebargainhunterextraordinaire.blogspot.com

briannelee said...

I love that bag and the top looks really pretty on you!

A troll doll is a really funny Halloween costume. Awesome idea!

Fashion Therapist said...

LOVE that shirt..I almost bought it yesterday cause I've been adoring it on other blogs. FYI - Passed along an award to you: http://fashiontherapist.blogspot.com/2009/10/welcome-to-chicago-zara.html

Violet Dreams said...

I really really really love your shirt...OMG...

You look terrific in your halloween costume, hope you have a good night :)

xxx, B.

alya said...

Fabulous outfit. That shirt isn't something I'd look twice at in the store, but seeing you wear it makes me envious that I'm not so creative!

Marta Castellanos said...

I love that bag!and without doubt the shirt is a great adquisition!
I have leave an award for you in my blog!You don´t have to make the "rules" if you dont wan!
xoxo,

www.meencantamiropa.blogspot.com

Dionne said...

You always wear the cutest outfits! I love your style.

Loooove the Tenenbaums costumes, lol!

Elaine said...

I LOVE the pink and gray combo!!!! and that bag is amazing! I think you are pretty creative with your halloween costumes! Especially since they were last minute!!


clothedmuch.blogspot.com

futurelint said...

Love the shirt with that skirt - it's like they were made for each other!

alexandra said...

your past outfit posts + past halloween ideas have been awesome! loving what you're wearing day to day, and you've given me some good ideas (wayne's world?? loves it).

check out my costume last year:
http://signaturestyles.blogspot.com/2009/10/all-hallows-eve.html

Mara said...

love your outfit! that top with the bow is so pretty! hope you have a happy halloween!

Jennifer said...

again in love.
I think I might have to go find that shirt...
-jenloveskev

eunice said...

i love the big bow, gorgeous outfit!

LULUSTAR. said...

you look absolutely gorgeous on the top pics...
love them!!!

xoxo
LULUSTAR.

Lexie said...

troll doll! immediate filing that away for next year's costume.

Musing Around said...

The blouse (did I just write "blouse") is fantastic. And, you're probably wearing pantyhose (yikes, "blouse" and "pantyhose" in the same comment!) because it was cold!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!