Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Daily Style / Coveting...

It was lightly misting as I took my daily photos this morning...Perfect weather!
Silk Blouse: Thrifted (1.99)
Bomb-ass Necklace: H&M (19.90)
Jeans: H&M
Flats: Mia
Chris and I took a quick trip to Salvation Army yesterday. I absolutely love going there mid-week, it's like all the best stuff is just waiting for me to find it! Among my winnings is the silk top I'm wearing above, two skirts for early fall/winter, and a pair of brand new Sam Edelman kitten heels! The "Sallies" that is closest to us is HUGE but gets picked over pretty quickly, hands down my favorite thrifting (outside of Austin, TX- vintage capitol if the world) is in Maine. No one in the "Pine Tree State" seems to realize the gems they harbor in their attics and closets! We spent so much time there yesterday, it got so late that we couldn't do any more of our errands! Whoops!
In other news, Chris and I have been doing some may-jah rearranging of furniture in the past few days. I'm hoping that eventually our apartment will look socially acceptable enough to actually share pictures of it here. My mom is coming with a new couch this weekend and I'm super excited!

Coveting...
This week's Coveting post is dedicated to one thing:
Jeans.

I have the worst time finding jeans. It's gotten so bad that I now only wear pants once or twice a week. They always seem to bunch around the knees, inch slowly down my hips, and generally make me miserable. I tried this pair on at the UO in Harvard Square last week, and they seemed pretty perfect. I'm thinking I might make the investment. I don't know if I can justify $58 on pants though- especially if they end up closeted forever like all my other unfortunate pairs. Have you had any luck with specific brands of denim? If so, please share!
Cheers!

22 comments:

Yuka said...

i feel you on that. i have the worst luck with jeans too. thats why i only own a few pairs. :(

Lagelle said...

I love this Mod 60's inspired look, lovely blog btw come visit www.lagelledailydose.blogspot.com

Orchid Grey said...

@Yuka: yep, I'm actually considering getting rid of most of my pairs!

@Lagelle: thank you!

idée_géniale said...

Love your style and your blog!xo

Jenna and Maura said...

My absolute favorite skinny jeans are Levi's 531, though they aren't high waisted...but I have a pair in black and a pair in blue that I basically wore through the entire fall/winter this year!
- Jenna

marb said...

great outfit!take a look at my giveaway!!maybe the shoes fit u!
:)
http://betterahead.blogspot.com/2009/08/giveaway_11.html

Leproust Vintage said...

Loooove today's 60s inspired look! So cute!

I have a pair of bdg skinnies that I bought probably around 2 years ago, and they are still going strong! They are pretty good quality for the price!

myedit said...

1. Add hamilton, On to the list for thrifting... people donate good stuff and no one picks out the good stuff, they are too busy fighting over an Old navy sweater...
2. The necklace is pretty awesome!
3. $58 is a good investment if you will wear them a lot. Divide cost by estimated # of wears to see if it's worth it (this equation does not apply to dresses or very high heels).

Orchid Grey said...

@Jenna&Maura: I Love levi's too!

@ Idee Geniale: Thank you!

@Marb: the shoes wouldn't fit me, but thanks for visiting!

@LeProust: thank you and I've decided to make the investment!

@MyEdit: completely agree on #3!

Vern said...

cute necklace. h&m is super!

Kristin said...

That IS a bomb arse necklace! I've heard raves about the new Gap skinnies!

Jennifer said...

Jeans are the worst to buy! I always say I wont buy another "just get me thru pair" because I always hate them. But I always do because I can never find the perfect pair. Except once I found a pair of Joe jeans at tj max an they were the best fitting jeans ever. I have since wore a hole into them so they are not school wearable anymore. Good luck with the search!! I love this outfit by the way!
-jenloveskev

thefinalhonor said...

Go to Gap! I work there as a denim advisor, and we just relaunched denim and they truly are amazing. The skinny jeans aren't high waisted and they're pricier ($69.50), but well worth it. They're the quality of Sevens for half the price. Super soft fabric, make your butt look great, durable (the fabric is ring-spun so they'll last a lot longer), and a ton of the work is done by hand (hence the price increase from our old jeans). I hate wearing jeans too, but I love love love these.

Fell4fashion said...

I can't find many pants/jeans that fit me either! I've resorted to wearing many a skirts and dresses!!! But I LOVE those jeans on you! and that necklace, fabulous!!

Orchid Grey said...

@Jennifer: i feel your pain, i found a great pair of PaperDenim&cloth jeans at TJmaxx once and they suffered the same fate as yours!

@TheFinalHour: thanks for the heads up, I've heard good things about GAP jeans!

@Fell4Fashion: Thank you, wearing those jeans is such a pain- but they do photograph well!

San Francisco Stylephile said...

Oooh! I love, love, love that necklace!

Great interview at This Time Tomorrow! I would love to be added to your blogroll, too--just added you to mine. :)

chicfaced said...

i freakin love this! very nice.

Orchid Grey said...

@ SanFrancisco: Thank you!

@ Chicfaced: Thanks!

Abby said...

Jeans are my nemesis. I love summer for all the dresses and skirts and I am definitely going to carry them into the fall with tights so I don't have to spend too much time in jeans.

I have 1 pair of Big Star jeans that fit me just right - which is hard when you are short and have curvy thighs and butt. I decided to splurge on the $100 for a pair that fit perfectly and make me feel great, rather than the $30-50 that I know wouldn't fit correctly and make me feel self-conscious.

Christine said...

Those jeans fit you perfectly! I love wearing jeans but HATE tugging at them when they inch down while walking, after sitting, etc. Does that mean they don't fit properly??

Clare said...

Yes. That IS a bomb-ass necklace.

Orchid Grey said...

@ Abby: I love wearing tights in the fall, it's a great way to make the transition and make your dresses and skirts feel fresh!

@Christine: I don't think that means they don't fit properly, I think it's a very common problem. The jeans I'm wearing above photograph nicely, but they give me the same problem. I think it's common with low waisted jeans- which is why i'm moving to high waisted.

@Clare: hah, thanks!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for reading Orchid Grey! If you have a question, I will either respond in the comment section or in a future post, so check back! I also encourage questions on my blog's Facebook page, see the link on the sidebar to get there!